Helen Mirren - The Queen
No votes
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
6%

Total votes: 51

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

My choice is Julia Roberts who stole the deserved award for Burstyn, followed by Reese Witherspoon who stole the expected award for Huffman.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Akash wrote:Omigod, SIX VOTES for poor Nikki Kidman and only ONE for Halle Berry (my own??)?! You people suck. Even if you absolutely hated her in The Hours, Kidman should get a pass if only for being a much better actress than Berry in every other way.
Did you see Things We Lost in the Fire? Berry is actually very good in it. That performance is better than Kidman's in her winning movie, and her work in such films as The Invasion are almost as discouraging as some of Berry's work after her win.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

For me it's between Kidman and Roberts. Neither were horrible, but merely okay in their roles. Actually Kidman was probably a little better than okay, but she clearly didn't deserve her Oscar that year. I understand Roberts winning, as it is a star performance in a popular movie. Kidman wasn't even in the majority of her movie and most of the talk around her performance was the nose.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Damien wrote:Halle Berry, with Theron right on her tail.
Nice image, Damien. Thanks.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Berry. Wow. Just wow. Straight-up black-face.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Halle Berry, with Theron right on her tail.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The question is, which time? Boys Don't Cry or Million Dollar baby? Embarrassment of riches for you there, Pen. Though how anyone could choose Swank over Berry and Theron is beyond me.

Ah, I see you chose Baby. At least you left the stronger performance untouched.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Guess who I voted for....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Omigod, SIX VOTES for poor Nikki Kidman and only ONE for Halle Berry (my own??)?! You people suck. Even if you absolutely hated her in The Hours, Kidman should get a pass if only for being a much better actress than Berry in every other way.

Edited By Akash on 1204500091
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

My god! An embarrassment of riches! The Hours is a stinker and Kidman's role borders on supporting, but her fascinating performance is actually one of the best things in the film, even if she didn't deserve to win over Julianne Moore. Julia Roberts is ridiculous in the ridiculous Erin Brockovich, but I've come to view the film as an unintentional comedy, and in that regard, her performance works. And Reese Witherspoon is just boring, winning an Oscar that should have gone to Felicity Huffman in a year where all the prizes should have gone to Q'rianka Kilcher.

So that leaves Halle Berry and Charlize Theron and my goodness, how does one choose between the awfulness of these two?? I can't stand Theron and would naturally choose her (if only because Halle Berry's crazypants reaction to winning is more fun than Theron's boring, forgettable speech) but after seeing the Aileen Wuornos documentary, I begrudgingly gained more respect for Theron's ticks and mannered performance. Berry is a sweeter, more self-effacing actress in interviews, but there's absolutely nothing in her performance. She wins.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Dense competition here, but I have to go with Kidman. Berry is a close second, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

More.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”