Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
4%
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
2%

Total votes: 48

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I wish I could have voted for three....Benigni, Washington, AND Whitaker.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

How true! lol :cool:
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

The true dichotomy of this board...criddic notches votes for Crowe for best and Brody for worst and he read the titles of the threads correctly.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I have to go with Brody. He was good, but I didn't find it special. I think many good actors could have given the performance he gave. Maybe he's just not my favorite actor, but his was not an Oscar Best in my opinion.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Ok, I see what you mean.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Not relevant because ok, you didn't find it comic - but this could say as much of you as it does about the movie. It's not a point which can be relevant critically. It didn't make you laugh. Good to know.
Every time I expressed an opinion, it was always about the movie. Not about me. Every critic is subjective, because, first of all, it´s made by a human being, and second, it reflects the way on how that movie impact on the viewer, on his feelings, his way of thinking, his moral.
Anyway, there are standards related to the topics you use to criticize a movie. The relevant point here could be if Life is beautiful could be taken as a comedy or at least as a parody.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:Good thing I deleted that joke about Anne Frank...
So Anne Frank and an Irishman walk into a bar . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That was awesome. That Jews comment just died.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Not relevant because ok, you didn't find it comic - but this could say as much of you as it does about the movie. It's not a point which can be relevant critically. It didn't make you laugh. Good to know.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:But I still think that such a statement is very subjective, so it's not relevant at all.
Sorry, I believed that you were very interested in being part of a board in which his members coluld respect the different opinions and positions from the others with an open mind. Your judgement of "irrelevant" places you in the same corner that you criticize.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:
Hustler wrote:I need to remind you that every comment in that board is subjective.

Not every comment. And when they are subjective, they are still backed by reasons, explanations.
Even so, they are subjective. And, please, don´t play on words.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Steph2 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:One is allowed not to like Life is Beautiful, of course. But one can't say that there are subjects that a comic can't touch, in comic terms - death, sex, religion, food, French Revolution, Hitler, Popes, and so the Holocaust, too - as Dario Fo has said, even just the idea that there are "sacred" subjects that can't be dealt with in a comic, or humorous, way, is an act of censorship.

From now on, I'll just shut up and let you speak for me. LOL. Thanks Marco, that was my point yes, when I made that "Even Jews..." crack. But apparently even THAT was crossing a line. (Thank goodness for Sabin, or one would think -- going by this board -- that Jews had no sense of humor. Oh, that was a joke by the way.)

Good thing I deleted that joke about Anne Frank...
Still I don´t know you, I can´t guess when you are making a joke or when your comment is serious.
Assuming that you don´t know me, every word you express related at least to me could be false.
Please, I must to ask you a favor. First of all, try to know each person of this board before making a statement related to it. On the contrary you will be prejudicing, which could constitute the same mistake that you usually criticize.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

ITALIANO wrote:One is allowed not to like Life is Beautiful, of course. But one can't say that there are subjects that a comic can't touch, in comic terms - death, sex, religion, food, French Revolution, Hitler, Popes, and so the Holocaust, too - as Dario Fo has said, even just the idea that there are "sacred" subjects that can't be dealt with in a comic, or humorous, way, is an act of censorship.

From now on, I'll just shut up and let you speak for me. LOL. Thanks Marco, that was my point yes, when I made that "Even Jews..." crack. But apparently even THAT was crossing a line. (Thank goodness for Sabin, or one would think -- going by this board -- that Jews had no sense of humor. Oh, that was a joke by the way.)

Good thing I deleted that joke about Anne Frank...
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:I need to remind you that every comment in that board is subjective.
Not every comment. And when they are subjective, they are still backed by reasons, explanations.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:
Hustler wrote:His movie is far distant from an humorous way of thinking the Holcaust.

Well, ok, if you say so... But I still think that such a statement is very subjective, so it's not relevant at all.

Benigni isn't a nazi or even a fascist. His political ideas are completely different.

Wait, Wait!, I´ve never even suggested that Benigni was a nazi, or a fascist. I´ve just intented a critic of his work. I think that he manipulated historical facts. Of course it´s not me who said that. It´s History. His movie doesn´t pretend a revisionism as I´ve read in some place of this thread. That´s why I mantain my idea.
as for your comment regarding that my statement was subjective, I need to remind you that every comment in that board is subjective.

Edited By Hustler on 1204633257

Return to “The 8th Decade”