Helen Mirren - The Queen
47%
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
8%

Total votes: 49

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think plenty of these performances were good, even very good, but that a number of them were up against people who were better (Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman for instance).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It wasn't a very good decade, full of pretty actresses playing it ugly. Perhaps I'll play the spoiler and vote for Witherspoon....or Paltrow....see? The idea just makes us run for the two (Swank and Mirren) that were worthy.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

To answer an older question, I did enjoy Helen Mirren's performance, but that year she was second to Judi Dench for Notes on a Scandal, IMO.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

avril94, you're very trollish. Are you another "Akash personality"? Or are you the 14-year-old French-Canadian girl that others have deduced?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

avril94 wrote:The worst Theron I think the director of Monster and Theron totally ripped it off.
What does that even mean?

And how telling is it that there are so many winners up there with no votes. This must have been a bad decade if everyone on this board has focused in on two performances, with a couple other garnering the occasional vote.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

1. Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry
2. Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich
3. Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Hilary Swank in Boys don't cry the acting in the last 30 minutes is the best I've ever seen. The worst Theron I think the director of Monster and Theron totally ripped it off.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Swank in Boys Don't Cry. She was devastating in that film.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's fine. It's certainly impressive but I think Mirren's been pretty overrated. It's not by any means an interesting stretch for Helen Mirren. It's perfectly competent and deserving of a nomination but I think it's most a feat of being appropriately dolled up and being a fucking Dame. Quite frankly, I enjoyed Judi Dench and Penelope Cruz more. And I think the best performance in 'The Queen' was Michael Sheen.

A lot of this has to do with the middling nature of the Best Actress winners. That being said, I think Helen Mirren has a lot in common with Julia Roberts' Oscar-winning role in 'Erin Brockovich.' Of course she's going to knock it out of the park.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I may be speaking without remembering, but could Helen Mirren in The Queen be the one unifying adoration of this entire board? Was there anyone who didn't like her performance?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

BY FAR Helen Mirren. And if I had to choose a Hilary Swank performance, I'd go for Million Dollar Baby anyway.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I also voted for Hilary, although part of me regrets not opting for the equally wonderful Mirren.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry by a mile.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

LOL. I voted for Swank too. Aside from Helen Mirren, Swank is so much better than the rest of the competition, it's not even a fair race. She's a regular athlete in the "Special Olympics" here.

Edited By Nik on 1204517893
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry, with Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby a close second.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The 8th Decade”