Ray
No votes
Sideways
34%

Total votes: 68

paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

The Aviator from this disappointing bunch.

I would've preferred a Bad Education, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Hotel Rwanda, The Incredibles, Vera Drake face-off.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Recently rewatched The Aviator and it feels like compensatory auteurism. The film is riddled with directorial flourishes that reveal Scorsese as a man clearly having a ball, and much of The Aviator is a glorious time: the making of Hell’s Angels, his romancing of Katherine Hepburn (especially the overlapping dialogue dinner scenes), anything in the air, Hughes’ self-imposed quarantine, etc. What I find most interesting in the film is Scorsese & Leo’s dedication to the wordlessness of his obsessive-compulsive disorder, but truly Martin Scorsese has always been an outwardly compulsive artist and his dedication to transcending the limitations of Logan’s screenplay is a feat of glorious effort rather than glorious accomplishment. And all the same, Leonardo DiCaprio is not believable as Howard Hughes but his efforts are incredibly endearing.

Much of the ensemble is invisible and interchangeable. Cast Danny Huston in John C. Reilly’s role, Alec Baldwin’s in Willem DaFoe’s. Alan Alda is fantastic, and I must say that, although she’s clearly doing a impersonation, Cate Blanchett is a joy. I suppose it shouldn’t be strange that The Aviator received so many nominations and The Departed so few, but I have to wonder if indeed The Aviator would’ve won the Oscar were Million Dollar Baby not such an irresistible underdog and was released in the Spring of 2005 as initially planned.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Aviator. I love it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Aviator, though even that wouldn't make my top ten of 2004. Great year, disappointing line-up.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sideways, an absolutely delightful comedy. (Though, not as delightful as Eternal Sunshine.)

But I had absolutely no problem with a win for the beautiful and powerful Million Dollar Baby.

The Aviator is visually impressive but rather hollow. Ray is an un-glorified TV-movie. And Finding Neverbland is a complete snooze. A shame voters picked such unimpressive biopics in the year of the truly great Kinsey.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby were far superior to the other nominees (none of which I cared for) and the Academy made the right choice. At least the Academy wasn't as bad as 1999 when they had an embarrassment of riches to choose from, but managed to only nominate one great film (The Sixth Sense) and gave the award to a lousy one (American Beauty).

But 2004 was also a terrific year for movies and instead of the other three clunkers, I would have been happier -- as far as films that were "on the Oscar radar", and in some cases managed other nominations -- with Best Pictures nominations for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Before Sunset and either one of the following: Bad Education, Kill Bill 2, Vera Drake.
Archie Leach
Graduate

Post by Archie Leach »

Sabin, I feel quite the same way - while I was a big supporter and lover of Million Dollar Baby at the time, I'm now more inclined towards Sideways.

Wish Ray and Finding Neverland weren't on this list though.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A glorious year. Used to think 'Million Dollar Baby', but now I lean more to 'Sideways'.

1. 'Sideways'
2. 'Million Dollar Baby'
3. 'The Aviator'
4. 'Ray'
5. 'Finding Neverland'

Edited By Sabin on 1187072671
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Sideways, although Million Dollar Baby was a strong choice. The Aviator was entertaining, but hardly Best Picture-worthy, and my ultimate non-nominee choice would have been Eternal Sunshine.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

One of only two best picture winners of the last ten years that I matched with Oscar on: Million Dollar Baby

I enjoyed all of the other nominees, although in the end I did not nominate Finding Neverland. I opted for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind instead.

Sideways also didn't make my best pic list, being replaced by The Passion of the Christ, which took best director.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sideways
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

The Aviator, followed very closely by Sideways
rudam
Graduate

Post by rudam »

aviator
nobody not even the rain has such small hands
-c.c. cummings-
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

The Aviator because it has both Kate & Cate.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Million Dollar Baby, but I would have been jsut as happy by a win for Sideways.

Return to “The 8th Decade”