39%
Moulin Rouge
7%

Total votes: 70

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Picture: 2001

Post by nightwingnova »

Can't bring myself to watch a bio-pic that distorts someone's life. So may never see A Beautiful Mind.

Love, love, love the social drama/mystery Gosford Park!

I enjoyed The Fellowship of the Ring, but have some issues with changes from print to film.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

--ITALIANO wrote:Ugh... 21 here voted for The Lord of the Rings...

Dont´be so negative. 21 voted for Gosford Park.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1242145172
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Ah well, just goes to show that no group is perfect:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Ugh... 23 here voted for The Lord of the Rings...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I didn't entirely become aware of Altman's stellar 70's work and embrace it until rather recently. When I saw 'Gosford Park', I was stunned by the subtlety and variety in how Altman and Fellowes conveys the parasitic nature of the rich to the poor and vice-versa. It's a lot of fun, graceful, and stately in a fashion that lacks the jolt of his earlier work. I still think it's pretty great and it stands apart from any in this lineup.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--rain Bard wrote:I suspect my immersion period in the lesser-known 70s/80s works was not as deep as yours was though. Still haven't gotten to Quintet, Streamers, or even Thieves Like Us for example.

OK now I want to see an Altman film right now.

Have a good stiff drink ready to you're going to subject yourself to Quintet.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1242145179
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

My experience was similar to yours, Eric, until I watched it again shortly after his death, and loved it as much as ever. Still not as much as the Company, but that's a mighty tall order.

I suspect my immersion period in the lesser-known 70s/80s works was not as deep as yours was though. Still haven't gotten to Quintet, Streamers, or even Thieves Like Us for example.

OK now I want to see an Altman film right now.

Edited By rain Bard on 1228603922
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm not sure what's to blame for Gosford Park's sharp devaluation in my memory, but I would say my experience was the precise opposite of yours, BJ. Loved it at the time, heralded it as better than Short Cuts or some such nonsense, and only after going back and watching some of Altman's less-heralded '70s and '80s films, decided that Park seemed a little bit staid in comparison. (Seeing and being enraptured by the dance sequences of The Company sealed the deal ... here, I decided, was the late-innings grand slam!)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Heh - that's how I feel about 2002.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I saw Gosford Park for the third time recently. It might have my vote here now. For some reason, many people (including myself at the time) seemed to think this was some kind of lesser Altman effort, but it's a dazzlingly ambitious project pulled off with seemingly effortless zeal, and it holds up just as well as any of the "great" Altman pictures. (Well, okay, it's not as good as Nashville, but few movies are.)

I've started to think that it's in years like '01 that awards lists become irrelevant -- I can think of around a dozen movies that year I'd have been perfectly thrilled to see WIN Best Picture, and it practically feels like splitting hairs trying to determine which ones are better than others.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Meh. I've realized that I can't care that much about Hudson's win since the other nominated women all sucked too. I'd rather go back to bashing Harry Potter. Which incidentally, also had its best film outing in 2004 -- Cuaron's Azka-whatever.

Throw in Eternal Sunshine and Bad Education and wow, this was some magical year!

Edited By Akash on 1196799793
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:This is so SO true. God what a great year 2004 was for Lead Actress! The nominated women were all wonderful and even then I could have included Nicole Kidman in Birth, Nicole Kidman in Dogville, Julie Delpy in Before Sunset and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Volume II.
Agreed on all counts, Akash (okay, now this is officially getting freaky. Should we start another round of "Did Jennifer Hudson earn her Oscar" for good measure?). 2004 was indeed a banner year for Nicole Kidman. Her scene at the opera in Birth is still one of the most riveting things I've ever seen from an actress in the past five years or so. And her turn as the runaway gangster moll indentured to the town of Dogville was horrific and compelling (Patricia Clarkson also deserved kudos for her standout performance). Julie Delpy was luminescent in Before Sunset and that last scene with the Nina Simone song -- my God, if I was ever going to go back to women, it would've been her in that scene. Uma Thurman kicked all kinds of ass in Kill Bill, Volume II and was able to imbue a cartoonish character with empathy and restraint even when she was blowing away half the cast.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:I like Nicole Kidman, but her double-whammy year was in 2004 for 'Birth' and 'Dogville'.
This is so SO true. God what a great year 2004 was for Lead Actress! The nominated women were all wonderful and even then I could have included Nicole Kidman in Birth, Nicole Kidman in Dogville, Julie Delpy in Before Sunset and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Volume II.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Or just the horror of every crappy adaptation/direction combo from that point forward would be pulling one over on audiences with "Academy Award winning writer Akiva Goldsman and Academy Award winning director Ron Howard" in a world where Lynch and Altman don't have Oscars

And the offensiveness of Ron Howard's opinion of the world of Nash having to be so neat and clean to connect with John Q. Public- his disease must have a tangible effect for us to understand, here's Paul Bettany, a hero is clearly heterosexual and would not even lean the other way, let alone mostly lean the other way, how could we have a well received film if our hero's a bigot, nix that, etc. etc.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Uri wrote:I was always amused by how emotionally invested some people here are when it come to A Beautiful Mind – a competently mediocre piece – which for some reason evokes an amount of detestation and hatred that really should be saved for more worthy causes.

Uri, I can't speak for everyone, but one of the reasons I despise this film's win is because I felt the other four nominees were vastly superior and the Academy went and chose the one damn thing that wasn't worth a damn. It was also pretty horrifying to have Ron Howard beat Robert Altman and David Lynch for Best Director.

That said, I still think Jennifer Connelly is lovely in the film.

Edited By Akash on 1196747898

Return to “The 8th Decade”