Crash
4%
The Departed
19%

Total votes: 48

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I got nothing. I just couldn't stand looking at "Akash's" name every time I logged in. That little fuck creeps me out.

Edited By flipp525 on 1217983131
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:Wow, somebody voted for Crash.
Somebody? Come on. We all know who peed in the bed.

Criddic? :p
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The Departed and Million Dollar Baby were the most deserving winners in their categories. I voted for The Departed if only because Baby's uneasy anti-welfare, black-people-need-to-just-get-jobs position rubs me slightly the wrong way. Had Brokeback Mountain won as it should have, it would be no. 2 on my list, bumping Eastwood's film to no. 3 and Marty's triumph would still well, triumph.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

As others have said, a quite depressing list. Had to go for Million Dollar Baby, not because it's perfect, but because at least it represents a type of filmmaking, a vision of cinema, which I can feel represented by. And if the alternative on this board is The Lord of the Rings (which unbelievably seems to have more or less the same number of votes), I have no doubts on which side I should be.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

This decade don´t seem so impressive, don´t you think so?
I would pick Shakespeare in Love and Million Dolar Baby.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin wrote:As I look across this decade, I really ask myself what movies are going to last?

Certainly not 'American Beauty', 'Gladiator', or 'A Beautiful Mind', all of which have already wilted with age. I think 'Chicago' and 'Shakespeare in Love' have a backlash of sorts against them despite their quality, and 'Crash' is already looked upon as a modern day 'Greatest Racist Show on Earth'.

I think 'Million Dollar Baby' will age well and so will 'The Departed' because of their genre-trappings. But how will history view 'Return of the King'? It's either seen as the weakest 'LOTR' or the strongest, but most everybody agrees it's needlessly long in the final stretch. Will it be a fantasy 'Lawrence of Arabia' or just another 'Ben-Hur'? I lean more towards the latter.
What you're underestimating is fan sentiment. LOTR was considered superior to the Star Wars flms in that they shared a consistent view and theme that the original trilogy lacked. It has already gone down into the lexicon as a success and I don't see it dimming in the future. It will be looked at as one of history's greatest trilogies and will long be remembered for being the film that finally broke the glass ceiling at the Oscars for fantasy and, to a minor extent, sci-fi.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

As I look across this decade, I really ask myself what movies are going to last?

Certainly not 'American Beauty', 'Gladiator', or 'A Beautiful Mind', all of which have already wilted with age. I think 'Chicago' and 'Shakespeare in Love' have a backlash of sorts against them despite their quality, and 'Crash' is already looked upon as a modern day 'Greatest Racist Show on Earth'.

I think 'Million Dollar Baby' will age well and so will 'The Departed' because of their genre-trappings. But how will history view 'Return of the King'? It's either seen as the weakest 'LOTR' or the strongest, but most everybody agrees it's needlessly long in the final stretch. Will it be a fantasy 'Lawrence of Arabia' or just another 'Ben-Hur'? I lean more towards the latter.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I keep going back and forth between the two great films on the list, Chicago and Million Dollar Baby. But that scene in which Swank's family comes to the nursing home nags at me -- Haggis's caricatures and condescension were even too much for even Eastwood to overcome, so I go with Chicago.

Wow, somebody voted for Crash.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Now that the Academy has two films that truly earned the title of the best picture of the year in this decade, I can't choose between them. I chose "The Return of the King," though it was close for "The Departed."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Return of the King triumphs over this wasteland. Best Director is so much better in comparison.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Motherfucking Departed.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Shakespeare in Love and Chicago are still unquestionably the best of this line-up, with the romantic bard getting my vote.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Updated to include the latest winner. Which one is the best?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The 8th Decade”