Best Foreign Language Film

1998 through 2007
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I thought The Counterfeiters was solid enough but mostly conventional. It's less mawkish than the weakest aspects of Life is Beautiful (and good god, it's light years better than Tsotsi), but the treatment felt overly familiar when, as you say, the material is anything but. (There's even a sequence lifted directly from Schindler's List.) It's not a bad film, but given the bevy of popular choices left off the ballot, it's still a bummer of a winner in this category.

That being said, thank god it triumphed over Beaufort, the only other film I've seen in this category. Here's a film about the boredom of waiting during war...that is a complete and total snooze that ultimately amounts to nothing.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Saw The Counterfeiters today, and it's good. The lead is played by an actor (a good actor) who would've been cast as one of the Nazis by almost any other director. August Diehl, in a supporting/second-lead role is excellent--he has the charisma (and probably the looks, although it's hard to tell here) to be a breakout star. The music was god-awful. Somehow, as well made and well acted as it is, it never quite grabbed me the way it should have, and probably was meant to; scenes towards the end (two in particular) that were probably meant to be devastating didn't quite hit me on that level.

I don't want to undersell it, because it has a lot of good qualities, and anyone interested in history (especially Holocaust) will be fascinated, as I was, by a Holocaust story that tells a story that you probably haven't heard about. As far as recent foreign film winners go, it's a cut below The Lives of Others, but miles and miles ahead of Tsotsi.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Lest we forget . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I just realized four of the nominees are war films.
Apparently, the other one (12), has wartime flashbacks. And it's also an adaptation of 12 Angry Men, although I never would've guessed either of those things in the short clip they showed.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I just realized four of the nominees are war films.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Crap. I had to second guess myself. I said early on that it's Holocaust, it will win...damn.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Counterfeiters - Austria
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”