Hal Holbrook
4%
Tom Wilkinson
26%

Total votes: 27

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Add that to a list of things I never again want to see. Hoffman humping anyone or anything, not even a cachelot whale...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

HOFFMAN???!!! UGH!!! VOMIT!!!

Edited By VanHelsing on 1201152212
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

This category looks pretty fair for me.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I liked all of these very much. Voted for Wilkinson as the slightly less outstanding, somewhat hammy, performance out of a good batch.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I liked Philip Seymour Hoffman in 'Charlie Wilson's War' quite a bit. It's probably my favorite performance of his. He does exactly what he's supposed to do. It's the quintessential P.S. Hoffman role. I'd rather he do this than 'Capote' or 'Before the Devil...' any day.

Tom Wilkinson barely rises to the task and creates a mumbling miasma of mutterings that he's above. He's all right, but too hammy for my taste. And I didn't buy him as a genius or as a colleague.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I know you didn't say he was Oscar-worthy, but a lot of voters apparently felt he was. I thought he was entertaining in Charlie Wilson's War, but the idea of it as an Oscar-nominated performance doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Well, to be fair, I said that he was the best thing about the movie, not "Oscar-worthy". It's certainly Oscar-nomination worthy, though. His first scene in his boss' office at the CIA alone is worth the nomination.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201035592
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I never saw the other two movies, but if a stand-up act like his performance in Charlie Wilson's War is Oscar-worthy, then I think the definition of the term Oscar-worthy is in need of re-examination.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:The Blob.
With three great performances this year, I'll echo someone else in saying that it would've been lame for Hoffman not to show up somewhere. I prefer his work in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, but he was the absolute best thing about Charlie Wilson's War.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Blob.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Which film do you think was the worst film included in for this category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”