3) The Departed
4) Million Dollar Baby
5) Chicago
6) Shakespeare in Love
7) Gladiator
8) American Beauty
9) Crash
10) A Beautiful Mind
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Three of these landed on top of their respective years: American Beauty, The Departed, and Million Dollar Baby. I went with American Beauty.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Million Dollar baby
3. I hated the movie at the time, but over the years I loved it more and more in a campy kind of way (the same reason I love Titanic): Gladiator.

(Titanic and Gladiator are the two best John Waters films ever :)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Newly difficult lineup. I give it to 'No Country'. 'Shakespeare in Love' is only a good movie because it's so lovely; in actuality, it's fairly middling but benefits from a lovely accidental presence. And I'm still not convinced that 'The Departed' wasn't an editing room masterpiece. 'No Country' is confident from beginning to end in its vision and I respect that a little more.
"How's the despair?"
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Shakespeare in Love, Return of the King, The Departed, and No Country for Old Men are all terrific winners, but I'm still moved every time I see Million Dollar Baby. Eastwood achieves the elegiac in an unlikely place and his sure, steady hand is a thing of beauty despite Paul Haggis' conservative tendencies. The man was simply robbed of the Best Actor Oscar.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

The Departed
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Shakespeare in Love.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Thank goodness for No Country or I'd never be able to decide between The Departed and Million Dollar Baby. The Coens manage to surpass Scorsese and Eastwood here. Shakespeare is lovely and Rings is OK. The rest are shit.

Edited By Akash on 1204500388
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hustler wrote:Maybe, most of you will choose Crash, but I´m going with A Beautiful Mind.
Don´t take that! I´ve got mixed up. I misunderstood the concept. In spite my vote which was misplaced, best picture of the decade is NCFOM.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Maybe, most of you will choose Crash, but I´m going with A Beautiful Mind.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now that the 8th Decade has wrapped up, we can do a bit of examining. Now, since this year's films are firmly in the heads of everyone, I fully expect there to be some prejudice, so we'll have to take that with a grain of salt.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”