Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
No votes
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
44%

Total votes: 41

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

And exactly how many sword-and-sandal movies have there been in the last 25 years against which to compare Gladiator?

Russell Crowe is no Steve Reeves. Hell, he's not even Gordon Scott.
-Damien

I just thought he was great. It's true that there haven't been a lot of these types of movies, but Kingdom of Heaven, Troy and Dragonheart might qualify.

Wow... we're a bunch of racists. Three black Best Actor winners, and they're the ONLY three without a single vote. Even Russell Crowe and Roberto Benigni got a vote each. For shame.
-MovieWes

It has nothing to with racism. The performances, while good, were not the best of the decade.

Edited By criddic3 on 1209153968
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

MovieWes wrote:Wow... we're a bunch of racists. Three black Best Actor winners, and they're the ONLY three without a single vote. Even Russell Crowe and Roberto Benigni got a vote each. For shame.

I guess of the three, only Whitaker is mentionable (heaven forbid someone votes for Foxx!!), and he's below the standards the rest set?

Edited By Franz Ferdinand on 1206077205
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Wow... we're a bunch of racists. Three black Best Actor winners, and they're the ONLY three without a single vote. Even Russell Crowe and Roberto Benigni got a vote each. For shame.

Edited By MovieWes on 1205995713
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Russell Crowe, one of the best actors working today, who made Gladiator work better than any sword-and-sandal epic in the last twenty-five years or so that wasn't also mythical fantasy.
And exactly how many sword-and-sandal movies have there been in the last 25 years against which to compare Gladiator?

Russell Crowe is no Steve Reeves. Hell, he's not even Gordon Scott.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

1. Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
2. Adrien Brody, The Pianist
3. Russell Crowe, Gladiator
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Russell Crowe, one of the best actors working today, who made Gladiator work better than any sword-and-sandal epic in the last twenty-five years or so that wasn't also mythical fantasy.

I liked Penn and Washington, but didn't award them myself.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Adrien Brody, and not just for being a hot Jew.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bog wrote:*cough Jennifer Hudson cough*
Best of her year. I didn't vote for her for best of the decade, so step off.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Really tough choice for me between Day-Lewis and Brody, two performances, worlds apart. I give it to Brody because I usually favor subtler performances if at all possible and while Day-Lewis is masterful, the quiet bravado of Adrien Brody is even more affecting and without soliloquy.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

*cough Jennifer Hudson cough*
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. I'm just amazed at how many people liked the thoroughly unimpressive job Adrien Brody did in the Pianist. What an middling performance. That is has been elevated to a form of art is thoroughly disturbing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I really had a tough time choosing between Sean Penn and Adrien Brody, and finally I chose Penn and almost immediately regretted my decision, then I saw that I was the first one to vote for Penn, so I'm glad. I wanted Bill Murray to win the Academy Award and Penn deserved recognition for Dead Man Walking, as Aakash said, but I think it's a perfect performance that impresses with how the character infuriates me.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Brody
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Daniel Day-Lewis, with Adrien Brody very close behind.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Daniel Day-Lewis just narrowly edges out Sean Penn for me. Though if it was Dead Man Walking, Penn would win easily. I'm fine with Benigni, Washington, Brody and Whitaker even though I would have voted for McKellan, Wilkinson, Day-Lewis and Gosling in their respective years. It's a pity Hoffman won because Ledger would have been right up there with Penn and Day-Lewis for the best of the best.

Edited By Akash on 1204509564

Return to “The 8th Decade”