Martin Scorsese - The Departed
12%
Joel Coen, Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men
9%

Total votes: 43

Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I'm baffled too. Polanski totally gets my vote, just edging out the Coen brothers.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, that was unreal. How many Polanski movies have you seen, dude? I find that statement baffling.
"How's the despair?"
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Wow Wes, I have no idea what to say in response. LOL. Rewarding Polanski for "The Pianist" was a wonderfully deserving tribute to a brilliant career. In the end though, I have to go with Scorsese. Ang Lee's competent but unspectacular direction of "Brokeback" shouldn't be leading here, unless it's career recognition for "The Ice Storm", "Crouching Tiger" and "The Wedding Banquet."

Edited By Nik on 1204525457
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Polanski gets my vote for the most overrated director of the last century (and I'm not a fan of the Coens). His material is so distant and inert. He doesn't give a shit about his characters, whom you really should care about to really care about the film's subject.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Roman Polanski
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Roman Polanski.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Roman Polanski, without any doubt one of the most gifted and talented directors from many decades.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ang Lee.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Scorsese for career achievement and a wonderful film. And again, only ONE VOTE for him (my own??)?! You people really suck :p

I expect the gay vote to win it for Ang Lee here. Only Howard and Sam Mendes have no business being on this list. But wow, what a better overall line-up than Best Picture -- Scorsese, Polanski, Eastwood, Lee, the Coens, Soderbergh? Not a bad decade Academy. (And to think, they could have had Altman or Lynch here too!)

Edited By Akash on 1204509258
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

More.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”