Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
18%
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton
4%

Total votes: 45

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I loved J-Hud's performance. I thought even her non-singing parts were pretty good. Very raw, untrained (far from bad) and of course her rendition of The Song was spectacular.

While there are some Oscar-winning performances which I felt were undeserved, Renee Zellweger's performance in Cold Mountain is the only one I've seen which I really truly hated. It was so laughable, it was verging on camp (not quite though). The only reason she won, I felt, was to spare her the embarrassment of losing three years in a row.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Oh my bad then, sorry Josh. I could've sworn she was one of those names you used to throw around way back when to convince us all that you were straight :p
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

And Josh, last time I was here (eons ago) you were beating off to Jennifer Connelly, weren't you??
And Josh, what Nik said better not be true

I have no idea whether or not to dignify this with a modicum of seriousness but I've only been impressed with Jennifer Connelly in 'Requiem for a Dream' and I find beating off to that movie a little difficult. She works in movies like 'Dark Water' and 'Hulk' but she's the rare talent whose beauty seems false, frigid, and almost statuesque when any degree of healthy sexuality is introduced to her roles. She's a lot like a pre-botoxed-to-shit Nicole Kidman like that. So she ends up more successful in a movie like 'Hulk' than the crazy nutbag she plays in 'House of Sand and Fog'. I don't like beating off to mannequins and that's what she becomes when she plays anything with a vagina in a movie.

This of course refers to Connelly, The Actor. When she was just Connelly, The Pair of Tits ('Rocketeer', 'Inventing the Abbotts')...oh my goodness.

Also, doesn't modicum sound like a dirty word?

EDIT: Incidentally, this has to be the worst lineup of acting winners from any categories. I'll say I only actually liked a few of the winners (Harden, Blanchett, Weisz, and Swinton) and intermittently impressed with a couple of the others like Jolie or Hudson. There is not a single one that I can say I think deserved to win over their competition and many were my last choices. Judi Dench has to be the loveliest performance that has no business winning an Oscar.

Edited By Sabin on 1204565197
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

ITALIANO wrote:
Akash wrote:I'm waiting for Marco to cast the third and probably last vote for Hudson.

Done.

Just sad that it will be the last.

No it won't. I can't stand that cow. Anyway, it was between her and Zellweger and at at least Renne didn't seem like she was reading from a teleprompter the whole time. So with Aakash's vote, that's actually 6 for Hudson (just below Zellweger) and 4 for Angelina Jolie (whom I adore).

And Josh, what Nik said better not be true :D
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Akash wrote:Argh! I cast my vote for Angelina Jolie and then remembered Jennifer Hudson was in this decade (I guess I completely blocked out her win). I'm sure Oscar Guy won't change it because he loves her and hates me for ragging on her (I'm not even sure if you CAN change the vote, can you?) but please let the record show one less vote for Jolie and one more for Hudson.

Zellwegger and Zeta-Jones are also pretty wretched.
LOL Akash! That´s not personal!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Akash wrote:I'm waiting for Marco to cast the third and probably last vote for Hudson.
Done.

Just sad that it will be the last.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

What the hell is everyone's problem with poor Jennifer Connelly?? No, even she can't save A Beautiful Mind, but girl's a lovely actress. And Josh, last time I was here (eons ago) you were beating off to Jennifer Connelly, weren't you??
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Connelly does nothing in 'A Beautiful Mind'. A totally vacuous non-Hispanic performance.
"How's the despair?"
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Renee Zellweger
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Akash wrote:Thanks Penelope, I'm waiting for Marco to cast the third and probably last vote for Hudson. I'm sorry OG, but I'm pretending my vote was cast for the truly worst winner.
Well, that you think Connelly's a good actress in A Beautiful Mind says absolute volumes about your taste, so I'm not at all shocked.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Easily Angelina Jolie. Especially for beating out FOUR BETTER nominees: Toni Collete, Samantha Morton, Catherine Keener and - the true winner that year - Chloe Sevigny.

Eat gigantic elephant poop Angie.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'm onboard
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Thanks Penelope, I'm waiting for Marco to cast the third and probably last vote for Hudson. I'm sorry OG, but I'm pretending my vote was cast for the truly worst winner.

Edited By Akash on 1204509858
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Jennifer Hudson.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's impossible to change votes. Sorry.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”