Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
18%
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton
4%

Total votes: 45

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Catherine Zeta-Jones easily. Has there ever been a less energetic, less engaging song and dance performance? It is a role that relies on charisma, and Zeta-Jones proves she has none.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Jolie, but I think she was good. Just overrated. Personally, I think Chloe Sevigny should have won, or perhaps Toni Collette.

I think I also have to view Michael Clayton again to get what was so Oscar-worthy about Swinton in this movie. I remember thinking that the acting was good, but not wildly so.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I watched Caligula again for the 4th time over the weekend with some friends and we had a great time. It's definetly the best way to view the film.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1204700646
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Seen it!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Blasphemy, Uri, blasphemy. She is a perfect human being.

(And, in truth, in Age of Consent it wasn't her ankles I was looking at...)
Watch Caligula.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I'm sure she was born with perfectly shaped calves, but being such a committed artist, she had some procedures done to achieve that right level of imperfection, required by her quest to be able to represent real human being on stage and screen. Ok?
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Blasphemy, Uri, blasphemy. She is a perfect human being.

(And, in truth, in Age of Consent it wasn't her ankles I was looking at...)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Johnny Guitar wrote:They're all fair game ... except for a trio of utterly infallible actresses: Helen Mirren, Tilda Swinton, Julie Christie.
But have you ever looked, really looked, at Helen Mirren's ankles? Dietrich she's not.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I agree with Damien on this--we shouldn't play favorites and allow some fun or even quite bitchy ribbing for some performers and then cry foul if it happens to others.

They're all fair game ... except for a trio of utterly infallible actresses: Helen Mirren, Tilda Swinton, Julie Christie.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:You can put your tongue away, Nik. It's not going to happen.

And the only person who made fun of Abigail Breslin's weight more than you was me, Damien. I don't care if that was a fat suit, she's a fat little fat girl with a mullet and Down syndrome glasses. And it's perfectly all right for me to say that, just as much as saying that I thought Jennifer Hudson's eyes were going to cross trying to pronounce "Javier Bardem".
Yes of course I know I made fun of litle miss pudge, but that's part of my point. As I said, I take no offense if Hudson is made fun of. Being irreverant to all sorts of things -- including body types, personalities, actions/statements of those special magical people we call Stars -- is part of what this board should be all about. What I take umbrage at is when there is outrage at some of these statements and not others based solely upon how one feels about the object.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I never referred to any actor - even those whose performance I couldn't stand, like this Jennifer Hudson - by making fun of his or her physical appearence. Being fat isn't a crime in my book - and before someone asks, no, I'm not fat! And I'm surprised that especially Americans seem to be so obsessed with this kind of put-down - surprised because I don't think I've ever been in a country with more obese people.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You can put your tongue away, Nik. It's not going to happen.

And the only person who made fun of Abigail Breslin's weight more than you was me, Damien. I don't care if that was a fat suit, she's a fat little fat girl with a mullet and Down syndrome glasses. And it's perfectly all right for me to say that, just as much as saying that I thought Jennifer Hudson's eyes were going to cross trying to pronounce "Javier Bardem".

Edited By Sabin on 1204653410
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Aw Damien. Someone else had called her a cow way back when (I think when some people were making fun of Abigail Breslin -- including YOU my dear) and I was sort of piggy backing on that bad, old joke. But you're right. I shouldn't have. I don't want to contribute to our culture of unhealthy body images. On that, I was wrong.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Akash wrote:I'm waiting for Marco to cast the third and probably last vote for Hudson.

Done.

Just sad that it will be the last.

No it won't. I can't stand that cow.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about Jennifer Hudson. I myself thought that Anika Noni Rose was the female revelation in Dreamgirls. And Jennifer Hudson does have some bovine qualities.

But where is the anger that a performer is referred to in this manner? A cow. To call Marion Cotillard a ham, to point out that it was the make-up which did the acting, and to point out that she worked the Bel Air-Beverly Hills-Malibu circuit with gusto in the month leading up to the Oscars is to be xenophobic. But ridiculing Jennifer Hudson's body gets a free pass.

It's blatant hypocrisy and a prime example of the selective outrage that runs rampant here. As long as you like a performer, it's a sin to denigrate him or her, even in a light-hearted manner. If you don't like 'em, then anything goes.

And as long as P.C.-ness sometimes runs amok here, there probably is an undercurrent of racism in making fun of Hudson's body type.

Edited By Damien on 1204617483
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Nik wrote:Oh my bad then, sorry Josh. I could've sworn she was one of those names you used to throw around way back when to convince us all that you were straight :p
ROTFLMAO!!! A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Sorry Josh, that just came out of nowhere. God, I think I just peed myself.

Return to “The 8th Decade”