Best Supporting Actress

1998 through 2007
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Far More Perceptive IRA Awards?

Well, you have a lot more respect for the organization where you actually happen to vote than for the Academy... may I say I'm not surprised?

The Academy might not be the smartest of the organization, but this year, when you compare it with some others, the choices doesn't look as bad. Can we really deffend all the winners from previous years? Cotillard's choice seems far more deserving than let's say Halle Berry's. Usually, I don't get at least one of the four acting winners. This year I can live with all of them (Still have to see Away from her, but even if cotillard is second to best, she's still better than other previous winners).

Day-Lewis film and performance might not be a piece of candy for everyone, but for my money he did a wonderful job. Guess, as alway, it's just a matter of taste...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1208549061
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Man, what a fine year for performer's award... not a single shame (Come on you guys, I know your love and devotion to Christie but Cotillard is a far better winner than some other recent choices). Bardem was great, Day-Lewis was superb, Swinton gave a terrific supporting performance and Cotillard took a big role and created a charming/aching performance on screen... great great year (this makes more nonsense the utterly shameful ceremony)
I couldn't disagree with you more, Harry. Not a single one of these people gave anything approaching an award-worthy performance, and Day-Lewis was ridiculously bad.

I'm proud to say that in the far more perceptive IRA awards, none of them got even one vote.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Swinton's final scene in Michael Clayton, when her knees and legs fail her in her moment of shock and terror, was one of the highlights of any Oscar performance, IMO. Worth the whole film to see this.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Actually I didn't get that, I was wondering the same thing that night. I had forgot that but now that you mentioned it, I can clearly recall her wide open mouth. She looked great though, as a whole, but her face was quite awkward...

By the way, I've just seen I'm not there and Michael Clayton... even though I feel Blanchet was superior we can't regret Swinton's win... Man, what a fine year for performer's award... not a single shame (Come on you guys, I know your love and devotion to Christie but Cotillard is a far better winner than some other recent choices). Bardem was great, Day-Lewis was superb, Swinton gave a terrific supporting performance and Cotillard took a big role and created a charming/aching performance on screen... great great year (this makes more nonsense the utterly shameful ceremony)
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I was just thinking about his past year's awards (okay, okay, I was re-watching some of the keys races last night before I finally deleted the thing off of my TiVo) and I have to ask: What was up with the bizarre look of astonishment on Ruby Dee's face after her clip was shown? Honestly, I could not read what that was about. Yes, dear, you ARE nominated for an Oscar. And, yes, they JUST showed your big slap scene. What are you so incredulous about? Maybe that's just her default look because I remember her doing something similar at the SAG Awards.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Oh my god, she is so weird. I love her.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That is quite awesome. You know, while I haven't liked everything she's been in, I've always thought she had a strong, selfless personality.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I'm a little shocked she even watched Zoolander, I thought the last sentence here is quite funny.

Swinton Prepared for Oscar Loss

Actress Tilda Swinton was so convinced she would not win an Academy Award on Sunday, she didn't hear her name when it was announced. The 47-year-old Brit, who won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role in Michael Clayton, has dubbed the seconds following her win a "reverse Zoolander moment," in a reference to Ben Stiller's 2001 comedy in which a dim-witted male model tries to accept an award given to his rival. After her big win, she told reporters, "I really just had a reverse Zoolander moment when I think I heard someone else's name and suddenly slowly heard my own. I'm still recovering from that moment, and I have absolutely no idea what happened after that. So, you know, you can tell me my dress fell off and I'd believe you, so don't be cruel."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Harvey Weinstein posted Blanchett's entire performance on Youtube as well.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This was not a surprise. Swinton, Dee and Ryan were all equally poised to take this award and were evenly-matched. People who were predicting Blanchett just don't understand the mind set of the Academy.

I said it before and I said it again, a Todd Haynes film is not going to receib=ve Academy recognition. In fact, Weinstein put an I'm Not There DVD in copies of Variety containing just Blanchett's scenes because he knew most Academy members wouldn't have the patience to sit through the entire picture.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

sorry... a typo... already corrected it...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think you are right.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1203917955
Wesley Lovell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

the double nomination has become officially a curse! Holly Hunter the last to win with a double nomination but weaver, thompson, Julianne Moore and now Blanchett are a "selected" group of loosers despite double nods...
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Hideous dress. Brilliant speech.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois

Return to “The 8th Decade”