10%
Munich
16%

Total votes: 69

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Picture: 2005

Post by nightwingnova »

Crash was very contrived, manipulative, sentimental dreck.

Capote was fine.

Munich was intriguing but I'm not a fan of encouraging questionable fact-based drama.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Akash wrote:
atomicage wrote:About the "I should add that, all those Crash-haters out there, I can totally understand why you resent the film.

I hope you didn't think my post was fired in your direction alone, necessarily. It was more towards Akash's blunt "You're wrong. It's just shit." comment that I was aimed towards.

Ok fine. You are right. It's just shit.
:p Thank you. Much better. :D
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:About the "I should add that, all those Crash-haters out there, I can totally understand why you resent the film.

I hope you didn't think my post was fired in your direction alone, necessarily. It was more towards Akash's blunt "You're wrong. It's just shit." comment that I was aimed towards.

Ok fine. You are right. It's just shit.

Edited By Akash on 1196747666
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

OscarGuy wrote:It was that you were pushing for Crash to win. That's what you basically said...and then you bit into the acclaim for GNGL and Brokeback Mountain, two films most here consider miles above Crash in terms of quality.

I read your statement correctly. You may not have completely dissed the films, but by elevating Crash above those other films, you put yourself in line for some harsh comments (witness Akash's response).

Also, you may want to look up ';)' smiley before taking offense at my comments.

Yes, by saying that, at a time, I was pushing (not that I necessarily "elevate" it above the other picks) what I still consider a love-it-or-hate-it film, I was ready for someone to say, "maybe not". Understand, I did no 'biting' into the acclaim necessarily (re-read my post once more if necessary); to say it's "different" is one thing, to say that its "wrong" is a tad bit more.

And please, I know my way around a smiley. I get it, and I was responding accordingly. I took no offense, but I appreciate the condolences all the same. :cool:
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was that you were pushing for Crash to win. That's what you basically said...and then you bit into the acclaim for GNGL and Brokeback Mountain, two films most here consider miles above Crash in terms of quality.

I read your statement correctly. You may not have completely dissed the films, but by elevating Crash above those other films, you put yourself in line for some harsh comments (witness Akash's response).

Also, you may want to look up the ';)' smiley before taking offense at my comments.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1196717023
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Akash wrote:
atomicage wrote:But Crash-supporters, I can sympathize you as well. This is certainly a love-it-or-hate-it movie.

No. You are wrong. It's just shit.

Gosh, a place where everyone thinks their opinion is correct, and that everyone else is wrong... It's like an episode of the View (not that I watch it; I have a friend who... :)).

What did I say wrong about Good Night? What did I say bad about Brokeback? What did I say good about Crash?

I specifically said "Good Night, and Good Luck was a tad slow for my taste, though it featured the best Murrow impersonation I've ever seen... ever". Note, all of you, that I said "my taste"; just because I found it a bit slow doesn't mean I don't respect the film. Not only that, but notice that I'm one person. As are each of you. So please, come to the realization that not one person can speak for everyone, or that anyone is necessarily wrong when it comes to personal preference. I found it slow-paced; many didn't. To each his own.

RE Brokeback: "Brokeback Mountain was an intriguing love story, though I found the women's reactions to the relationship more interesting than the two male leads." That is definitely a compliment; what I pretty much said with that is that I found the women characters' reactions to the relationship well-done. There are so many romantic films that show the people fall in love, but don't show the repercussions that the relationship has on those around them. I loved how Ang Lee, and the story itself, focused so well on how hurt the women (more so Alma) were to find out their husband's true feelings.

RE Crash: "I'll be honest when I say that Crash was definitely what I was pushing for when it came down to it." All that says is, at the time, I was gunning for it. It says nothing more. And also take into consideration that I hadn't yet seen Munich or Brokeback at that point in time. About the "I should add that, all those Crash-haters out there, I can totally understand why you resent the film. But Crash-supporters, I can sympathize you as well. This is certainly a love-it-or-hate-it movie." comment, I stand by that. I see both why people could love this film, or hate this film. I do. If you don't, sorry.

Please, especially Akash, hold up before you make so bold a statement. If you'll notice, I specifically said in that statement that I understand your "it's just shit" claim. I do. I've met people on both ends of the spectrum who bring up evidence from the film as to why they love it/hate it, and both viewpoints, when they present them, are understandable.

And yes, OG, I'm in the right place. Sorry I don't see eye-to-eye with every single person. But please guys, read my comments a little closer before jumping the gun. I didn't criticize anyone's opinion; I ask you give the same respect to me. That's all.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:But Crash-supporters, I can sympathize you as well. This is certainly a love-it-or-hate-it movie.
No. You are wrong. It's just shit.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think I hear a lynch mob...praising Crash while saying bad things about GNGL and Brokeback Mountain...

Are you sure you're in the right place, Atomic? ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Wow. I'm very surprised at how much love Good Night, and Good Luck is getting, and how much love Capote isn't getting. Capote certainly wasn't the best film of the year; I guess I've just been to so many Capote-lovin' forums that I expected the same from this one.

I'll be honest when I say that Crash was definitely what I was pushing for when it came down to it. Brokeback Mountain was an intriguing love story, though I found the women's reactions to the relationship more interesting than the two male leads. Good Night, and Good Luck was a tad slow for my taste, though it featured the best Murrow impersonation I've ever seen... ever. I hear Munich was great; it's the only one I haven't seen.

EDIT: I should add that, all those Crash-haters out there, I can totally understand why you resent the film. But Crash-supporters, I can sympathize you as well. This is certainly a love-it-or-hate-it movie.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:I concur on Christian Bale. Even if he can't really act.
I essentially agree, although I'd worry that he'd be as boring in bed as he is on the screen.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh relax. She's 17.

I concur on Christian Bale. Even if he can't really act.

Edited By Akash on 1196712207
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:
Bog wrote:
Akash wrote:Oh, and Q'Orianka Kilcher is hot.

second

So is Christian Bale :D
At least he is legal!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bog wrote:

second
So is Christian Bale :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

second
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Not that this isn't a common occurrence for a lot of us on this board, that clearly what we feel is the best picture isn't nominated....The New World is absolutely the best of the year, Aakash

I pulled for Brokeback because it was so well directed and acted and good looking, Munich I need to check out again and would be my only other option, Good Night and Good Luck was semi-solid but didn't blow me away, Capote was my Tylenol PM for any time of day, and the heinous Crash with Haggis at the healm made me scared shitless to revisit what I had thought was one of the Academy's best choices in Million Dollar Baby

Return to “The 8th Decade”