Total votes: 41

Mack Ten
Graduate

Post by Mack Ten »

Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Have just seen Into the Wild now, and yes, Catherine Keener gets my vote here. Lucky the country whose cinema can count on such talents.
Another movie who won´t be released in my country for the time being.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:[You can join Italiano and I in that small club, Steph
Small but privileged, flipp.

Have just seen Into the Wild now, and yes, Catherine Keener gets my vote here. Lucky the country whose cinema can count on such talents.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I voted for Kelly MacDonald: not only is she simply wonderful in the part, she provides the film with its emotional coup de grace (much like Vanessa Redgrave).

I loved Keener in Into the Wild, but I'll never understand the praise for her portrayal of a wooden signpost in Capote.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Sabin wrote:Vanessa Redgrave is almost too effective in her 'Atonement' perf.
Which would be a bad thing if her performance wasn't meant to deliver the emotional TKO in the context of a sweeping, romantic epic (that's a quantitative descriptor, not qualitative, to be clear).

But since she is ...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Catherine Keener is going through a "Not Really A Spiteful Cunt"-phase in films that is serving her well as it seemed like she was starting to coast on her 'Malkovich'-persona. I will say that while she didn't really do anything noteworthy in 'Capote' and the raves for her performances in '40 Year Old Virgin' were for compensating a thin narrative and characterization with unexpected adeptness, my favorite "NRASPC" Keener performance is from 'Into the Wild'. She gets my vote.

Vanessa Redgrave is almost too effective in her 'Atonement' perf.
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Of course the one I really wanted to vote for - Olympia Dukakis in "Away From Her" - wasn't on this list, so...
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Vanessa Redgrave. I am not on the Catherine Keener bandwagon, at least not lately. She was fantastic in Malkovich and Your Friends and Neighbors, tho.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I haven't seen a lot of these nominees, but I had to vote for Jennifer Garner's subtle, gorgeous performance. In a year where there is so much praise for Marion Cottilard in a performance which, many on this board agree, has no arc or sustained momentum throughout the film, it is a wonder to see how Garner manages to create a beautiful story arc for her character.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Steph2 wrote:Keener easily. I loved her in Capote but she was even better here and deserved a nomination over Ruby Dee, Saoirse Ronan and even the great Tilda Swinton.

You can join Italiano and I in that small club, Steph. We both love Keener's performance in Capote.

While I haven't seen Into the Wild and cannot directly attest to Keener's worth of a nomination, I can honestly say that she seems to be on kind of a roll right now in Hollywood. I think she will be one of those consistently-nominated actresses (she was most likely in sixth place for a nod this year). An American Crime could prove to bring accolades and awards attention to both her and Ellen Page next year.

From the choices listed here and the films I've actually seen, it was a toss-up between Vanessa Redgrave and Marisa Tomei. In the end, I voted for the latter who really surprised me with her performance in BTDKYD. She took a cliché, easily-phoned-in role and made it memorable. However, Redgrave's devastating final moments in Atonement are quietly brilliant.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201278969
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Keener easily. I loved her in Capote but she was even better here and deserved a nomination over Ruby Dee, Saoirse Ronan and even the great Tilda Swinton.

And to be honest, much as I loved Blanchett and Ryan, (and as much as I'm not a huge fan of Into the Wild) I would have voted for Keener to win the Oscar over both of them.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Keener!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Which non-nominee are you upset didn't get nominated.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”