Best Live Action Short Film

1998 through 2007
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Big Magilla wrote:Are you by any chance working on anything else that might take you back to the Oscars someday soon?
I would love to write a screenplay for a feature film now... but having a more than a full time time job and having a family really absorbs my time. I hope to find a way to write at least a day per week soon... My goal is to start writing within the year!

And concerning best foreign language film: I all ready have my WWII-saga pitch ready :-)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You scrawny! You eat more! ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So now we know why Anja wanted to take you along, she wanted a little eye candy. Brag away.

Are you by any chance working on anything else that might take you back to the Oscars someday soon?
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

sijmen wrote:I know I'm a bit full of myself on these boards... I apologize... but I found a picture of me at the magnolia website

The picture of me with Anja Daelemans and Guido Thys

I'm the youngest guy, dressed in black...

And from now on, I'll stop talking about myself. I promise.
Cute. :D
Anyway, you have the right to be proud of yourself!
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

I know I'm a bit full of myself on these boards... I apologize... but I found a picture of me at the magnolia website

The picture of me with Anja Daelemans and Guido Thys

I'm the youngest guy, dressed in black...

And from now on, I'll stop talking about myself. I promise.
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Thank you, Barry.

But I personally prefer losing from Mozart than losing from At Night, which had great acting, but that story was a bit too silly and melodramatic (three pretty young girls with cancer, two of them die, and lots lots lots of tears).

My favorite was The Substitute...

But again, thank you for the compliment.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Pickpockets bored me. Proves the academy is stupid for cute kids. Tanghi Argentini and At Night were better.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Okay, so now you found me! I apologize for the language confusion (I was the fourth person next to the winner, but there were three people between us)

So, what does swag mean? If you mean the goodie bags, we didn't get any unfortunately... I met Dominique Deruddere who was nominated a few years back in the best foreign language film (for Everybody Famous) and he never got any goodie bags either. So I guess those things are for the nominated actors only (and probably the presenters too)...

But we were at the governer's ball, where I had the best time of all! I didn't eat much, searching the room for famous people :-)

I saw George Clooney and the Coen brothers having fun, John Stewart congratulating Diablo Cody, Ethan Coen having fun with Roger Deakins, Joel Coen talking to his wife Frances McDormand, Christopher Hampton running away (I almost ran after him to congratulate him for his career), Tilda Swinton eating as much as she possibly can with her Oscar right in front of her, the Bourne table where everybody was having the greatest fun - each with their personal Oscar,...

Walking at the Governor's ball was great great fun!

I was actually searching for Ivan Reitman. A Belgian radio show asked me a few days earlier who I was dying to meet and what I would say. My answer was Ivan Reitman (I heard Jason invited him to the Nominee luncheon) and I wanted to say to him that when I was a teenager I had three absolute heroes: Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis and Ivan Reitman (which is really true!)

Since I told that on national radio, I felt obliged to really do it. After searching for 30 minutes I thought Ivan Reitman wasn't there (I saw Jason walking around but no Ivan). But back home I see those pictures of Ivan Reitman at the governer's ball! So he was there!!!! Damn! That's more frustrating than not winning the Oscar!

If I regret anything it's that I didn't had the nerve to speak to anybody. I am a hughe fan of Tilda Swinton ever since I saw her in Derek jarman's Edward II (I was seventeen at the time). I could have easily told that to her!

Why - oh why am I so shy...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Aha, now I know which one you are.

There are TWO people with glasses sitting next to each other, one dark haired and one... er, with not much hair (but I didn't want to say anything). But you said there were four people between you and the winner, and if you're who you say you are, there were really THREE people in between and that's where I got confused.

It's a good shot of you, and yeah, you look really into it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Well, I've seen it now, and I think Sonic Youth, you're mistaken me for sombody else.

I don't see anybody clapping as enthousiatically as I am. And I didn't work on that, although our publicist (yes, we had a publicist) warned us: when the winner is announced you'll be on television so be glad for the winner. And I was! I genuine was!

Tips for if you're searching for me: I'm on the same row as the winner, and I'm the only one looking at the winner, right next to a man with a silly looking red bow (sorry, Guido). (Guido is the stoic one).
I wear glasses and look rather young...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okay, I see you.

You're right behind some chick's big hair, nodding your head and smiling just a bit, looking stoic in a sort of "We didn't win, but I've already accepted it" way. Very refined and sportsmanlike. But dude, you've GOT to work on that. One day, you're going to be nominated for a Best Screenplay award, and that merciless camera's gonna be focused right on your face. And if you lose, you need to give off the appearence that you wouldn't have it any other way, that losing delights you to no end, that the winner is one of your most beloved colleagues. Phony it up! You've got your reputation to think of. Or maybe you don't WANT to win an Oscar in the future, so... (waves hand in "Whateverrrrr..." fashion).

Anyway, it's true. Geert Verbanck, long time UAADB participant, has been on an Oscar broadcast. Congratulations!

Did they give you any swag, or is that off-limits for the "minor-category" proles?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

I haven't seen it myself yet, but people tell me I was on television when the short film winner was announced.

I was sitting in he same row as the winner, with four people between us. When the winner was announced I moved my head towards him, and according to my wife, by doing so just came into frame... (I have rather big glasses on)

(actually, my seat number was right next to the winner's wife, but I gave my seat to Anja, so she could get to the stage easy if we would win)

I hope to see it tonight.

And love to toast on all this, Zahweed!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

sijmen wrote:Well, the experience was too much fun to be frustrated over the loss :-)

I didn't saw Katherine Heigl unfortunately, but I got hooked up with Heidi Klum and Miley Cyrus... (well, if 'passing by' can pass for 'getting hooked up with')

'Mozart' is a fun little gem, and the director is a friendly humble man who fought hard to get this movie made. So I'm glad for him! We'll win next time :-)
But did we see you on TV? Where were you sitting in proximity to the winner?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This calls for a toast.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yes, of course, congratulations, Sijmen. No doubt it would have been better to win, but the list of people who've never been nominated for an Academy Award is a whole lot longer than the one one of those who have.

Return to “The 8th Decade”