80th Annual Academy Awards

1998 through 2007
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I would have liked to have seen a complete showing of all the winners in each acting category going back to when the show was first televised. They seemed to have only showed a little over half of the winners in the various best acting montages since the mid-50's
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It's the theme from Dragonheart.

I thought it was a fine, fine show. Jon Stewart was funny.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Hustler wrote:To be honest, what a poor tribute to 80 years of Oscars!

Exactly! you just made my point! thanks!

By the way, sorry, my mind s killing me! what's the theme in the Best Picture montage? it's the same they use year after year in this kind of things... it started around Rebecca and then again by the end is reused in a more elaborated form... it's beautiful, it's a classic, but can't remember where is it from...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Favorite Wins:
- Peter and the Wolf
- Daniel Day Lewis
- Falling Slowly (for a moment I thought "So Close" was going to win!)
- Atonement for music

Favorite Moments:
- Bardem speech... not great, but touching when talking to his mom
- Carrell and his depictions of animated films as docu-dramas! Sadly, he doesn't know when to end a joke...
- Chenoweth, she was effective, she actually played the part... that moment remind me a little of the big nice Beauty and the Beast segment (Belle/Be Our Guest)... this wasn't as good of course but kind of in the same spirit
- The winners for short docu... they were truly amazed... specially the tall woman
- Day Lewis on his knees taking a bow to Mirren! classic...
- The Coens atittude... so rocking!

Hated:
- Amy Adams! Oh I hate academy... I just loved her in the film... now she's here, with one of the worst dress, singing like a 50's middle-age housewife this 1 minute song that seemed longer CAUSE NOTHING HAPPENED ON STAGE! Not even a fucking screen behind her with stupid moments on films!
- Juno winning sreenplay (though Cody on stage was an amazing thing to see!)
- The Halle Berry/Judi Dench segment... annoying...
- Carrell, regreting his mistake and crying about it and getting nervous... he started great

Thank God we hadn't another Oscar Family album...- so arrogant!

Overall, a poor telecast... as a production didn't like it... and don't know, for me it wasn't exciting... might I be loosing the interest? don't know, maybe I'm starting to take importance off to it or maybe I'm starting to loose my faith on it, guess I don't see it as relevant as I used to do...

I'm going to sleep, have heavy work tomorrow on the hospital... Have a nice night guys!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It felt refreshingly short compared to recent years, short on campy performances (bar Adams) and needless montages.
- "Falling Slowly" was a great performance, and bringing the girl back to finish her speech was very classy.
- Cotillard's speech was nice, straight emotion.
- Few surprises, but overall a decent slate of winners.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

To be honest, what a poor tribute to 80 years of Oscars!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Oscar Moments You Didn't See on TV

By SANDY COHEN

LOS ANGELES - Most of the action on the Oscar stage is choreographed and rehearsed. Backstage is another story.

In the wings of the Kodak Theatre, stars grapple with nerves, have impromptu meetings with colleagues and make last-minute adjustments to their hair and makeup. Presenters and performers mingle with brand-new Oscar winners while dodging props and cameramen.

What you see on TV is Hollywood magic. Backstage is like a home movie, where everybody knows each other and they're all excited about putting on a show.

OSCAR SHOCK: As Marion Cotillard stepped offstage with the best-actress Oscar for "La Vie En Rose," Forest Whitaker enveloped her in a hug that lasted at least a minute.

Then they looked at each other and laughed.

"I'm shaking, like wow," Cotillard trembled.

Stopping by the backstage "thank you" cam, she expressed her gratitude in French and studied her Oscar.

"I'm shaking so much I think I can't talk," she said.

Whitaker led her arm-in-arm behind the stage on the winner's walk.

"This is huge, this is huge," she gushed as backstage workers applauded.

At a stop for a makeup touch up she tried to breathe deeply.

"This is crazy, this is totally crazy. Ooh la la la la! It's totally surreal," she said.

Tilda Swinton was so stunned by her win for supporting actress in "Michael Clayton" that she could only keep repeating "wow, wow" as she walked offstage.

Presenter Alan Arkin chased her with the winner's envelope.

"Oh yes, this is the proof," Swinton said, leaving arm-in-arm with Arkin.

JITTERS: Katherine Heigl wasn't kidding when she told the Oscar audience she was nervous.

Behind the scenes, a stagehand asked if she was OK.

"I just need a cigarette," she said, bumming one from a security guard and heading out to a loading dock.

NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOE BUSINESS: Adjusting her dress as she stepped into the theater wings and prepared to take the stage, Jennifer Garner confessed to the stage manager: "I'd like to take my shoes off."

"We could do it," he replied.

Instead, she looked skyward and said, "I didn't mean it, karmic dressing gods," and walked in a small circle.

"I'm just going to make sure I'm not going to fall," she explained.

Rene Zellweger had slung her silver Christian Louboutins over her shoulder when Johnny Depp ran into her.

"I like your shoes," Depp said.

"Thanks man," Zellweger replied. "I used to like the shoes."

STAR CLUSTER: At times it seemed there were as many stars in the green room as in the audience.

Penelope Cruz sat by her sister, Monica, and fanned herself. They were joined by Miley Cyrus, Johnny Depp and companion Vanessa Paradis, and Forest Whitaker.

Marion Cotillard was about to join them when she learned she would have to smoke outside.

CELEBRITY PLUMBING: The restroom just offstage was another Kodak Theatre hotspot.

Jessica Alba and Forrest Whitaker waited in line, and Javier Bardem brought his Oscar inside with him.

First-time presenters Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill passed the crowd on the way to the stage, but Hill paused and thought better of it. They joined lineup.

LADIES MAN: This backstage reporter was just trying to get out of Jack Nicholson's way, but ended up in his crosshairs.

As he passed in a narrow corridor he brushed against her synthetic white fur coat.

"Nice jacket," he said half under his breath.

As the reporter thanked him, photographers in the hallway aimed their cameras.

"Let's have a picture," said Nicholson.

Edited By Penelope on 1203916364
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So why do I keep hearing that old Peggy Lee song in my head, "Is That All there Is?"

Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem each gave another classy speech. Marion Cotillard, Tilda Swinton and the Song winenrs gave charming thank-yous. There were no gaffes. Everything moved along slickly, perhaps too slickly.

It was a good idea to record the reminiscences of former winners, but why the same old faces we always see? Why not go for some of those we rarely if ever hear from?

There's not much difference between the Oscars and the SAG awards or even the Broadcast Film Critics Awards any more.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Gil Cates actually refrained (and probably because of the short time frame) from doing the "Oscar Winner Picture" thing he's done the last two anniversaries.
I missed the Oscar Winner Picture. Although the fewer times they had to remind me that the French Fish Girl won an Oscar, the better. All in all, one of the better ceremonies in a long time.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Penelope wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Sorry, I've just realized I haven't gotten over it yet... how painful was to look Crash scene in the Best Picture recap...! ouch...

What would've been nice would've been a montage--I know, I know, but still--a montage of famous films that were nominated but didn't win. I know they did this back in the late 80s once.
Or maybe a montage of films that SHOULD have won Best Picture? Maybe we'll get that at the 85th and get to see There Will Be Blood in the list.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Sorry, I've just realized I haven't gotten over it yet... how painful was to look Crash scene in the Best Picture recap...! ouch...
What would've been nice would've been a montage--I know, I know, but still--a montage of famous films that were nominated but didn't win. I know they did this back in the late 80s once.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sorry, I've just realized I haven't gotten over it yet... how painful was to look Crash scene in the Best Picture recap...! ouch...
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The writers' strike affected them more than I thought, considering that the strike ended before the ceremony.

But I was very glad to see that for once, the winners got to finish their acceptance speeches.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Gil Cates actually refrained (and probably because of the short time frame) from doing the "Oscar Winner Picture" thing he's done the last two anniversaries.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Initial thoughts: this was one of the most enjoyable Oscarcasts I've seen in a while. It helped, of course, that I liked or loved many of the winners.

3 favorite highlights off the top of my head:

The surprise win for Tilda Swinton and somewhat surprising win for Marion Cotillard--whatever you may think of her performance, I thought that was a magnificent moment.

Bringing the Once lady back out to give her thank you: very heartfelt and lovely.

Return to “The 8th Decade”