80th Annual Academy Awards

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What I find most interesting is that this is one of my worst years of predictions yet, but I managed to come in fifth in the Oscar World contest...fucked up, I tell you.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

OscarGuy wrote:I think this might be the most international Oscar ceremony in history.

There is usually one particular "foreign" country stands out in each year. Last year was Mexico and this year is France.

Edited By inky on 1203914412
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh well, still over three hours. God, how long would it have been had they had time to prepare?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think this might be the most international Oscar ceremony in history.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Akash wrote:Seriously, this is the most non-American show. If Day-Lewis and Christie win, all four acting winners would be foreign-born actors.
Is this the first time in the Oscar history that all for acting award winners are non-Americans?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

It's moving along really fast! Damn, I should have made my prediction for the show being UNDER three hours.

Edited By Akash on 1203908948
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:The intro video... how corny it can be? Terminator's face! come on! Stewart so far has been way below the standard... Amy Adams performance... so cheap... man, they're really making their best effort to ruin the night.

Honestly? It was never going to be great, but I think it's a reasonable enough broadcast considering they had very little time to put it together. And I think Stewart is MUCH improved from his previous gig.

I agree "Happy Working Song" on a bare stage is just wrong.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203908551
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:Seriously, this is the most non-American show. If Day-Lewis and Christie win, all four acting winners would be foreign-born actors.
Or even Cotillard (France) or Page (Canada).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Seriously, this is the most non-American show. If Day-Lewis and Christie win, all four acting winners would be foreign-born actors.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Brad Bird.
Wesley Lovell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Have any Americans won yet?

Not that that's a bad thing--I love the global presence.

Edited By Penelope on 1203907400
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They had two weeks to rehearse...
Wesley Lovell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The intro video... how corny it can be? Terminator's face! come on! Stewart so far has been way below the standard... Amy Adams performance... so cheap... man, they're really making their best effort to ruin the night.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The intro video... how corny it can be? Terminator's face! come on! Stewart so far has been way below the standard... Amy Adams performance... so cheap... man, they're really making their best effort to ruin the night.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Rolo, if you can't make it Flipp's place, there is a podcast at Variety:

http://www.themovieblog.com/
thanks! hope it works.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “The 8th Decade”