Best Actress

1998 through 2007
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Well really Marco, with all the stupid comments thrown around here on a daily basis, there's only so much a girl can get to and still have time to explore Paris, you know? :p

Anyway, Away From Her was my favorite film of the year (I've said this numerous times) and I felt the argument "any other actress could have played Christie's role" - as a serious criticism of Christie, and not a joke - fell into that special vicinity of head-scratching nonsense that only the denizens of Gold Derby can claim.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Steph2 wrote:
avril94 wrote:Damien Cotillard is a great actress evidently you have never watched any of her french work, any she totally blew Christie away, I said it from the start any other actress could have played Christie's role.

This comment belongs at Gold Derby.
Maybe, but why didn't anyone (except me) say the same of so many stupid anti-Cotillard comments in this and other threads?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:
Damien wrote:Oh well, Julie will forever be a screen icon and La Jambon will be one of those people on the flip side of those eternal Oscar discussions re: Greta Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Carole Lombard, Judy Garland, Deborah Kerr, Gena Rowlands, Sigourney Weaver, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening et al never won Oscars but . . . Marion Cottilard did?

Dude, when did YOU start liking Julianne Moore?? She was right up there with Uma Thurman, animated films and Republicans, I thought. Please, a little warning next time would be nice. I almost got whiplash.
Oh, I wasn't talking about my opinion. I was just paraphrasing the discussions one so often hears about how can you take the Oscars seriously when so-and-so and s0-and-so never won, and I was just plugging in some of the names that come up with the most regularity.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:Oh well, Julie will forever be a screen icon and La Jambon will be one of those people on the flip side of those eternal Oscar discussions re: Greta Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Carole Lombard, Judy Garland, Deborah Kerr, Gena Rowlands, Sigourney Weaver, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening et al never won Oscars but . . . Marion Cottilard did?

Dude, when did YOU start liking Julianne Moore?? She was right up there with Uma Thurman, animated films and Republicans, I thought. Please, a little warning next time would be nice. I almost got whiplash.

Edited By Akash on 1204081735
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Steph2 wrote:
Damien wrote::D

I love you, Steph!

And this comment is typical of gay men :)

Aww, Film Fan sorry, I can't get in on the Day Lewis bashing. I think he's wonderful and I'm glad he won for "There Will Be Blood." His speech was unusually forgettable though.
Day-Lewis was my pick of the nominees too, but he still overdoes it quite a bit. Sometimes scenery chewing can be good (Day-Lewis, who leaves nothing in his wake) and sometimes it can be bad (Cotillard).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Steph2 wrote:[DDL's] speech was unusually forgettable though.
In my mind, I've just grafted his SAG speech onto his Oscar win the other night. It's better that way, Steph.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Damien wrote::D

I love you, Steph!

And this comment is typical of gay men :)

Aww, Film Fan sorry, I can't get in on the Day Lewis bashing. I think he's wonderful and I'm glad he won for "There Will Be Blood." His speech was unusually forgettable though.

This just in, Julie Christie is a goddess.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

That is a wonderful comment Steph. Thanks.

I was just thinking of what would happen if, celebrating their joint Oscar victories, Day-Lewis and Cotillard made a movie together. I don't think even Robert Boyle could create enough scenery for the two of them to chew.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:
avril94 wrote:Damien Cotillard is a great actress evidently you have never watched any of her french work, any she totally blew Christie away, I said it from the start any other actress could have played Christie's role.

:D

I love you, Steph!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Damien Cotillard is a great actress evidently you have never watched any of her french work, any she totally blew Christie away, I said it from the start any other actress could have played Christie's role.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

La Vie en Rose is a rather serviceable artifact for those, like me, who adore Edith Piaf. It's as predictable and corny as quite a few other movies and TV shows that were made over the years, albeit, to its credit, one must admit it was done very professionally. And Cotillard's performance fits very well into it. It's an assured, slick and well crafted presentation of a very well known public persona exactly the way countless media coverage, books, filmed performances, documentaries – you name it – have presented her. Nothing less, which is rather impressive, but really there's also nothing more. Is it enough? Yes. Once you see, in beautiful and crisp colors, a figure who looks like Piaf stepping into a recording booth, standing in front of a microphone, those familiar, distinctive first notes of the accompaniment are heard, and she open her mouth and the sounds of Milord are filling the air – the goose bumps are there. After seeing so many times, in grainy, blur gray palette that frail body, with its arms stretched forward, moving in a strange, hypnotic dance singing La Foule on the stage of the Olympia, there is no way I won't be moved when I see it recreated onscreen. But the emotional impact is there because of that once in a century voice and the visual memories which are integral part of the western culture. All that the people who made this film had to do was not to stand in the way, so we can suspense our disbelief. Cotillard was good enough to do just that. It was a technically useful turn. But it had nothing of that exciting sense of revelation, of an exposure of surprising facets of a character or an idea, which are the essence of great performances, whether subtle and extremely well refined ones such as Christie's or grand and flamboyant ones such as Day Lewis'.

Edited By Uri on 1204051680
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Julie Christie losing was the worst Oscar moments for me...well, ever since Brokeback lost.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Damien wrote:I knew this was going to happen but refused to put it into any predictions because to be associated with such a thing in any way was just too dirty and unappetizing.

Academy voters are philistines, and not vert bright.

Oh well, Julie will forecer be a screen icon and La Jambon will be one of those people on the flip side of those eternal Oscar discussions re: Greta Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Carole Lombard, Judy Garland, Deborah Kerr, Gena Rowlands, Sigourney Weaver, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening et al never won Oscars but . . . Marion Cottilard did?

Well Damien, at least Judy did get her own special Oscar lol.

Poor Julie. I think the fact that Marion's campaign went into overdrive while Julie's remained relatively low key made the difference. It also didn't help that Julie failed at convincing voters that she was back in good graces with Hollywood. At least Marion gave one of the best reactions ever and I never noticed how beautiful she really is until last night!

Edited By mashari on 1203973976
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

On the red carpet Julie was talkign about Guantanamo, so it looks like we were deprived of a great passionate political speech. Thanks a lot guys. :angry:

Return to “The 8th Decade”