Best Actress

1998 through 2007
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

From the clip it looks like Julie was quite pleased that Marion won; Cate Blanchett was ecstatic.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hustler wrote:Have someone heard that Christie was so upset after she lost?
From her pre-Oscar interviews, it sounded like she didn't want to win. And by her grimace as her name was announced, I think it was clear she wasn't particularly enthused. And she made those sentiments known, which may have hurt her chances and, unlike those who criticized my opine earlier about her comments about Hollywood, all of that may have played into her loss.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Have someone heard that Christie was so upset after she lost?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I wanted Christie to win, but I'm a big fan of Cotillard's performance (and, no, it wasn't just the makeup which made it possible) so this was a pleasant surprise. Her speech was absolutely lovely as well. Blanchett and Christie's shocked and overjoyed reactions, respectively, were classic.

Edited By flipp525 on 1203956603
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This was the big "wha, wha, what?" for me. It was a pleasant surprise.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

One of the most pleasant surprises last night :)
I haven t seen Julie Christie yet, but Marion Cotillard gave an amazing performance, i m so glad she won!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I knew this was going to happen but refused to put it into any predictions because to be associated with such a thing in any way was just too dirty and unappetizing.

Academy voters are philistines, and not vert bright.

Oh well, Julie will forecer be a screen icon and La Jambon will be one of those people on the flip side of those eternal Oscar discussions re: Greta Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Carole Lombard, Judy Garland, Deborah Kerr, Gena Rowlands, Sigourney Weaver, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening et al never won Oscars but . . . Marion Cottilard did?

Edited By Damien on 1203919057
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

this wasn't a surprise, we talked that in here yesterday or the dya before... we were mentioning a lot of reasons that placed her ahead of Christie... the theory was proven right...

Actually, it was kind of a boring night... can't believe that the only major shock came in the Visual Effects category!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, Damien, you can blame Hilary Swank for Marion's win: they were sitting next to each other at the ceremony.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Well, every cloud has a silver lining. My little game triumphed. Julie/Dianne lost to the one who was portraying a real life character who was a prostitute and died relatively young, a performance that relied heavily on make up.

Arletty, Danielle Darrieux, Simone Signoret, Emmanuelle Riva, Jeanne Moreau, Stéphane Audran, Catherine Deneuve, Sabine Azéma, Isabelle Huppert, Nathalie Baye, Isabelle Adjani, Juliette Binoche, Sandrine Bonnaire, Emmanuelle Devos.

All of them, collectively, have three nominations for French speaking films among them and no win.

I rest my case.

Edited By Uri on 1203916534
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

One of the surprise winners. Even Though I´m not disappointed, I was expecting for a Christie´s triumph.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My Mom watched La Vie en Rose last night and she called after Marion won, she was just beyond ecstatic.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:Well, it continues the tradition of dumb-ass selections in this category the last 10 years.

Cotillard haters will get the last laugh. Now she's condemned to half a decades worth of supporting roles in lousy Hollywood productions and damaging AMPAS's rep before hightailing it back to France.

(I should say I haven't seen the movie.)

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203911055
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Akash wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I want to know what she left behind that Colin Farrell slipped on on his way to the podium.

LOL!
Well, whatever it was I'm glad they cleaned it up before they brought out 98 year-old robert Boyle.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

rolotomasi99 wrote:well, at least ellen page did not win. then i would have been fucking pissed.
On the contrary, I'm all for subtlety and Ellen is my pick.

Return to “The 8th Decade”