OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Nik wrote:
avril94 wrote:and again I don't know what that Damien guy is smoking

Ethan Hawke's Penis.
He only wishes. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

avril94 wrote:and again I don't know what that Damien guy is smoking
Ethan Hawke's Penis.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Bog wrote:I think if you continue to spout kooky talk like this, Steph's gonna keep accusing you of being a Gold Derby spy.
Yes, he's trying to find the top secret We-Hate-Tom-O'Neil ignition codes.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Bog, I've been so busy the past few weeks crisscrossing the U.S. to help with election coverage with the journalist I'm working with. And OK, I admit that was probably a cheap shot at avril. I was just surprised no one had taken yet.

Just to contextualize though, I think Day-Lewis is a wonderful actor and that Christie was clearly the best actress of the year (and Away From Her a far superior film to La Vie en Rose), but I also agree with Marco that Cotillard's performance was no less accomplished just because her film was mediocre, and some of the comments about her here and on other boards are hilariously over the top and unfair. I wouldn't have voted for her but her win is one of the better ones we've had if you include the mid 90's to the early 2000's. And she's certainly more charsimatic and lovable (fuckable?) in interviews and during her acceptance speech than the parade of dithering American actresses we've had recently. Give me Cotillard over Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Reese Witherspoon, Kim Bassinger or Renee Zellweger anyday!

And I think it's unproductive and pointless to use Day-Lewis' process against him. Who cares? Just keep doing what you do man.

Edited By Akash on 1204492846
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Aakash, it took you so long to get here. I've been waiting and I knew I could count on you in a pinch.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Thanks Akash: I liked, that.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1204487519
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

FilmFan720 wrote:I'm not saying this makes Christie better, or Day-Lewis worse, I'm just saying that you can't attack one person for doing something you commend another one for doing.

Unless you do it without proper punctuations. Then at least there's context for it.

Edited By Akash on 1204487221
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

He does have range, but he comes at every role with a style. Every actor does. So to commend him, yet attack Christie for doing the same thing, is ridiculous. My Left Foot, The Crucible and There Will Be Blood are three different, ranging performances, just as Doctor Zhivago, McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Away from Her are all wildly different. What is similar is that they are all played by the same actor, and with the same style. You can see the through-line of their careers very clearly. This is a positive thing, not a negative thing. They have a distinct way of approaching a role, which works for them, and they both carry it out with dignity. To ask Christie to go over-the-top would be ridiculous, and probably painful, in the same way that to ask Day-Lewis to tone things down, and act as graceful and subtly as she does, might be painful also. That just isn't who they are.

I'm not saying this makes Christie better, or Day-Lewis worse, I'm just saying that you can't attack one person for doing something you commend another one for doing.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Daniel day-Lewis can play anything he has shown tremendous range I mean going from my Left foot to the last of the Mohicans was remarkable, plus name me one american actor who could have pulled off Christy even the great ones I can't find any.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

And Day-Lewis is always larger than life, so what was so difficult about his role that he deserved his Oscar this year? This can be said about anyone. People have acting styles, and Christie's is to approach her roles with a minimalistic gentility and grace. That is exactly what the role in Away from Her demanded. This film would have floundered under a mannered, over-the-top performance, and Christie brought to the film exactly what it demanded and needed. Actors garner awards for doing what they do best, and doing it to their best ability.You can't use that argument, especially when you are praising Day-Lewis for bringing to his performance the same style he always brings. We already gave Day-Lewis a performance for being grandiose and wounded, for screaming and emoting. I think his Oscar this year was deserved, especially against his competition, but you can't tell me this was new territory for him.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Christie was subdued in away from her, what was so difficult about that role with the exception of Darling she has always underplayed her roles she didn't have to go out of her comfort zone. I think the academy made the right decision and critics were wrong on this one.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

We don't do kooky talk here. LOL

Thanks FilmFan for your emphasis on the intelligent -- which is what sets this board apart from all other awards-centric places.

I never called Day-Lewis a terrible actor. Technically, he's more than proficient. But one responds primarily to very actor-ish work or more low-keyed naturalistic performances. Which is not to say it's all cut and dry. Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard is a magnificent, no-holds-barred operatic performance. Anna Magnani is also a great actor with bigger than life (i.e. bigger than the screen) qualities. Whereas, the "naturalness" of Robert Duvall in films like Tender Mercies is just plain dull.

Avril, you're certainly entitled to respond to certain performances the way you do -- including with La Jambon. But you have never gone beyond very general statements as to why you feel as you do, such as "greatest actor" or "any number of actresses could have done that" with any analysis, so forgive me if I don't take you seriously. Besides I just know you don't appreciate Robert Mitchum.

Edited By Damien on 1204437674
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

No, I think it is a perfectly legitimate opinion. You may be new here, so I will let you know that there are a lot of contrarian opinions floating around this board. In fact, there is probably no opinion that everyone here sees eye to eye on, making this one exciting place to talk (intelligently).
- Minor Myers, Jr.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

I don't know calling Day-Lewis a terrible actor is kooky talk don't you think.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Yikes avril, I guess I'm not sure where this comment came from, and that's only a bit of the problem with it, but I think Damien discussed his feelings in another thread. Isn't this whole conversation about acting technique off camera? That aside, Damien is one of the very few who even begrudge his win this year.

I think if you continue to spout kooky talk like this, Steph's gonna keep accusing you of being a Gold Derby spy.

Return to “The 8th Decade”