Best Actor

1998 through 2007
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It may mean that I don't fully appreciate great acting, but I think it's stupid that Day-Lewis always stays in character the entire time on and off the set during filming. He started doing that around the same time he quit appearing onstage. I don't really care for most of his performances since, although some are tolerable.

Edited By dws1982 on 1203972757
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:Horrible actor. Horrible speech. By all reports he's a very nice (if eccentric) guy, but he makes me wish Stanislavsky had never been born.
Isn't Day-Lewis's performance the antithesis of Stanislavsky? I thought it hearkened back to an earlier age.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:His performances really constitute quality acting. I`m so impressed by them! It´s like travelling through an intense ocean. Of course that´s not a silly comment. I´m not talking as a fan. I´ve studied and performed, to get a basis that helped me to value what means a great perfomance.
To each his own.

I think Day-Lewis's is the kind of acting that works much better on stage than on film (Kevin Kline is another actor for whom this dichotomy applies).

Among recent performances that I'm in awe of are Gordon Pinsent in Away From Here, Casey Affleck in The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, David Strathairn in Goodnight, And Good Luck, Kazunari Ninomiya in Letters From Iwo Jima and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Mysterious Skin. I think Daniel Day-Lewis in There WIll Be Blood is awful.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
Bog wrote:Is this bitterness or do you really think he sucks?

I have nothing to be bitter about. I just think its kinda silly that the critical establishment (and then the award givers) get bamboozled by the sheer force of it into thinking that Day-Lewis's nutty emoting constitutes quality acting.
His performances really constitute quality acting. I`m so impressed by them! It´s like travelling through an intense ocean. Of course that´s not a silly comment. I´m not talking as a fan. I´ve studied and performed, to get a basis that helped me to value what means a great perfomance.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Damien wrote:I have nothing to be bitter about. I just think its kinda silly that the critical establishment (and then the award givers) get bamboozled by the sheer force of it into thinking that Day-Lewis's nutty emoting constitutes quality acting.
He transforms into another being. He could play a stapler and it would be an amazing performance.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bog wrote:Is this bitterness or do you really think he sucks?

I have nothing to be bitter about. I just think its kinda silly that the critical establishment (and then the award givers) get bamboozled by the sheer force of it into thinking that Day-Lewis's nutty emoting constitutes quality acting.

Edited By Damien on 1203930329
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien wrote:Horrible actor. Horrible speech. By all reports he's a very nice (if eccentric) guy, but he makes me wish Stanislavsky had never been born.
HA!

I didn't mind him too much in There Will Be Blood, but I still think that Tommy Lee Jones's performance was far better.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Is this bitterness or do you really think he sucks?

I think Day-Lewis was quite good and all that and whatnot, if not just ridiculously over the top, but I totally agree with someone here who said in another thread that it seems ass backward that he was the runaway for the longest time (even sight unseen) and Julie Christie always had a struggle, and the latter...eventually a disappointment.

I did find it a little peculiar, though not surprising, that when interviewed on the red carpet, and asked of her relationship with Day-Lewis having had worked with him, Cameron Diaz responded that she did not really know him, that for the 6 months she spent with him in Rome, he was exclusively Bill the Butcher.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Horrible actor. Horrible speech. By all reports he's a very nice (if eccentric) guy, but he makes me wish Stanislavsky had never been born.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Uri wrote:
Okri wrote:1964: Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews, Peter Ustinov and Lila Kedrova. The first three were Brits, the last was Greek.

Kedrova was actually a Russian living in France. The character was Greek.
My bad.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The great gesture coming from a modest, talented and gifted actor: The recognition to Clooney.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Okri wrote:1964: Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews, Peter Ustinov and Lila Kedrova. The first three were Brits, the last was Greek.
Kedrova was actually a Russian living in France. The character was Greek.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Yep.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Is Day Lewis the first non american to win two academy awards for leading actor?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1964: Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews, Peter Ustinov and Lila Kedrova. The first three were Brits, the last was Greek.

Return to “The 8th Decade”