Oscar contest

1998 through 2007
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

MovieWes wrote:Well, criddic, many of your "shoulds" were the same as your "wills", so I couldn't fairly use your "shoulds" as your runners-up.
ok, ok. hehe. At least I won two other contests.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I did about as well here as in my cash Pool: not quite scraping the bottom, but below the middle. Good on you, Bard!
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Well, criddic, many of your "shoulds" were the same as your "wills", so I couldn't fairly use your "shoulds" as your runners-up.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

MovieWes wrote:
criddic3 wrote:It's funny, because I won the contests at home and at work. But I changed a lot of choices, like a lot of us did, for this contest. Oh, well. I must say, though, that the three awards for The Bourne Ultimatum were a big shock to me. I thought maybe one, but three? Is that to make up for not nominating the first two movies?

You might've done better had you submitted runners-up like I told you to. That probably contributed to your low score. You also predicted "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days" for best foreign language film even though it wasn't even nominated.
Ha, ha. Yeah, I was doing my predicts quickly without the noms in front of me, doing it from memory. Guess all the talk about the film popped into my head and I typed it in. I suppose you could say that my "should" noms were my runner ups.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I got pretty much the same number of correct predictions that I have usually had in recent years. By this I mean that this was the third year in a row when I got 17/24 correct. Before that, I had a weak year with 16/24, and before that, another 17/24. What frustrates me, is that I always get 17, but I've never hade more than that correct.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Yay! I'm tied with Damien! :) It's nice to be in the same place as the guy who wrote Inside Oscar.

I'm gonna celebrate by watching Ratatouille for the fourth time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Congratulations, Brian, and the 32 other people who came in ahead of me.

I could say I only enter these things to make the rest of you look good by looking bad myself, but I always go for the big surprises even when I pretty much know there aren't going to be any. Dammit, Across the Universe should've won for best costumes!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Props to rainbard -- and you say you did this well last year, too? We may have to assign you a handicap.

The irony for me is, I did better here than at my Oscar party, not because I changed guesses, but because we exclude the blind-luck categories (live, animated & doc shorts), where I scored an incredible two direct hits and one runner-up.

And yes, MovieWes, thanks for the effort.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Lol! Congratulations Mr Price!
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I guess I never mentioned my middle name is Waterhouse...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Thank you, Moviewes, and thanks for the contest. That was fun.

Congratulations, rainBard! That's probably the best anyone has ever done in any contest here. In fact... suspiciously so. ???

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1204075949
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Congratulations rainbard. Impressive.

MovieWes thanks for the counting. By the way, i think that i have 74 points, not 69. It doesn't make any difference though. It doesn't even put me in the top20. I sucked in this contest.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

criddic3 wrote:It's funny, because I won the contests at home and at work. But I changed a lot of choices, like a lot of us did, for this contest. Oh, well. I must say, though, that the three awards for The Bourne Ultimatum were a big shock to me. I thought maybe one, but three? Is that to make up for not nominating the first two movies?

You might've done better had you submitted runners-up like I told you to. That probably contributed to your low score. You also predicted "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days" for best foreign language film even though it wasn't even nominated.

Edited By MovieWes on 1204073253
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sonic Youth wrote:
MovieWes wrote:13. Sonic Youth – 82 pts.

Moviewes, can you recount my ballot? I thought I had <s>87 points</s>, unless I'm confusing the point system. (Make that 85.)

Not that I'd win, but I'd at least make it into the top ten.

Sure, I'll recount your ballot if you'd like.

EDIT: Just recounted and came up with 82 points again.

2nd EDIT: I just found out that you PM'd me an updated list of predictions. Didn't realize it until just now. Your updated predictions raises your total to 85 points. I used the one that you posted in this thread. Sorry about that.

Edited By MovieWes on 1204073707
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Me too. I did not expect to do this well. I owe my success to the discussions here, of course, so thanks to everyone. I guess it came down to listening to the right arguments at the right times. One would think that having seen the majority of short nominees (10/14) would have contributed to my score, and perhaps it did, but ironically the two winners I predicted are among the films I still haven't seen yet, and the category in which I saw all five nominees (Live Action Short) was the one I got wrong. (At least I picked the winner as runner-up though. It was my second favorite of the choices next to sijmen's by the way).

I probably would have won the contest at the Oscar party I attended too (which would have been very nice as it was a pool with a cash prize!) but I had to work until 5PM and didn't make it to the party in time to submit my predictions before they'd already announced ELIZABETH for Best Costumes.

Return to “The 8th Decade”