1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

LOL Zahveed.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Maybe they should have a list of names instead of a montage. This way you can fit everyone in and when people start applauding you can't tell who it's for.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy, you've got your diva-bitch on this morning!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:It was the most insensitive memoriam segment since they deemed Dorothy McGuire unfit for inlcusion.

I think what makes these segments insensitive the most is leaving the audience sound on, where it becomes noticable who gets the most applause.
Apparently, Greg, you didn't read my initial post suggesting that we NOT discuss, ad infinitum, the applause issue. Yes, we get it. It is brought up every year and it isn't going to change, so there's no point in bemoaning it in perpetuity.

Sorry to be snippy, but it's one of those discussions I've heard far too many times...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:It was the most insensitive memoriam segment since they deemed Dorothy McGuire unfit for inlcusion.
I think what makes these segments insensitive the most is leaving the audience sound on, where it becomes noticable who gets the most applause.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Why cut off at 98? Why not go for an even 100, or 120?

I suspect they excluded Brad Renfro, Edward Yang, Ulrich Muhe, Charles Lane and Bruce Bennett because either they weren't Academy members or hadn't kept up their membership whereas some of the more obscure people included had faithfully paid their annual dues.

What was most frustrating was that they gave Hilary Swank a very nice introduction in which she spoke about people whose contribution was decades ago and some with more recent credits who were taken too soon. Yet, with the exception of Ledger, they didn't inlcude anyone from the latter group. On the other end of the spectrum how can you talk about longevity and ignore the two oldest actors, both over 100, especially on a night when the special award winner is himself almost 100? It was the most insensitive memoriam segment since they deemed Dorothy McGuire unfit for inlcusion.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Then they should have included Marit Allen too!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the NY TImes:

Odd Man Out of Oscar Tribute
By Mike Nizza

The Oscar’s ceremony last night included a feature honoring people who died in the past year, but one of the most prominent deaths in the past year was not included. But the Academy told TMZ.com said that the decision had nothing to do with the way Brad Renfro, 25, died (heroin overdose) or the quality of his work (”The Client,” “The Pupil”).
“It is simply not possible to include everyone in that segment,” the spokesman said.

A more renowned young actor who died abruptly, Heath Ledger, was included, along with 97 others who worked in the movie business.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Anon wrote:The clip with Heath Ledger was much too short, even if it did come at the end.
It was not at all. Why should he get more then other people?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Nice they included the two great french actors, Cassell and Brialy.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm not surprised at all that experimental filmmaker Isadore Isou was left out, but Edward Yang's exclusion is criminal. Asian cinema is still considered the kiddie table by the academy I guess (unless there are lots of horses and swords involved.)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Nice to see they included Ousmane Sembene; I wasn't expecting it, maybe I should have. I just saw Moolaadé a month ago, and liked it a lot.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:ask again and somebody will say "they had no time"...
Ah, yes, but they had time for a montage of binoculars and periscopes....

(Although, that WAS very funny.)
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

ask again and somebody will say "they had no time"...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Where the fuck were Brad Renfro and Charles Lane?

The clips were all too short, and the music was unemotional. I usually end up crying -- or at least tearing up -- at this segment but this year it left me stone cold. There was no rhythm in the editing, no build up.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The 8th Decade”