80th Oscars: Song Performances

1998 through 2007
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Oh yeah, he was pretty fly for a white guy.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

John McLaughlin? Where was the Mahavishnu Orchestra?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Jon McLaughlin, not Stewart. :)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Jon was adorable! :;):
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Do they need writers to do a even a few dancing CGI figures?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Which is amazing, Damien, especially considering the other two songs, including So Close, were performed with dancers...The way it was staged though, I almost thought perhaps they were wanting to do CGI but just didn't get it done...
I was thinking the exact same thing. They only had two weeks to do it. Perhaps they did try to make it but couldn't get it done on time.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Which is amazing, Damien, especially considering the other two songs, including So Close, were performed with dancers...The way it was staged though, I almost thought perhaps they were wanting to do CGI but just didn't get it done...

I thought Roy Christopher's design on Falling Slowly was brilliant. It, as best as it could, re-created the scene in which the song is sung in the film. Terrific idea.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I thought Amy Adams somehow made it work.

I guess they didn't have time to add dancers in that number and instead threw all their dancers in the two other Enchanted numbers.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Happy Working" is not the kind of song that should be sung all alone on a vast stage. What a terrible misconception that was! There should have been at least some dancers dressed up as bugs and vermin.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

With that applause for Falling Slowly, I'm getting hopeful.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it's more fun to get the production numbers. Some of what they've done in the past has been dreadfully boring.

Though, I am disappointed they didn't give Chenoweth a louder mic. She was dwarfed by all around her and I know she's got the lungs to best them all.
Wesley Lovell
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Tell me about it. That last number was beyond painful.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:You know, I almost miss the glorious production numbers of the 70s and 80s...

Be careful for what you ask for...

Couldn't they have just performed the three Enchanted songs in one block of time and gotten it over with?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203908208
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, I almost miss the glorious production numbers of the 70s and 80s...
Wesley Lovell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I like Amy Adams but that was just boring. Pixar couldn't hook them up with a few fake bugs?

Edited By Akash on 1203905580

Return to “The 8th Decade”