80th Oscars: Jon Stewart as Host

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why is Whoopi unhirable? And I, personally, thought DeGeneres did a great job.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If Jon Stewart isn't asked back, it will be a shame. This show was clearly not his fault on any level. If he was tired, it was for making the show work at all. Who else will host? Steve Martin was great in '01 and merely all right in '03 (after we had just invaded, it can't be viewed as his fault). Whoopi Goldberg is unhirable. Billy Crystal seems bent on turning the Oscars down from now on. In '09, it will be five years since he last hosted. Chris Rock will never be asked back. Ellen DeGeneres did a terrible, terrible job last year.

Conan?
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I love Jon Stewart but he was BOOOOORRING this time around. His only good line was the one about Oscar being old enough to be the Republican nominee. (Unless he did amazing stuff after Christie lost)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

As flat as Jon Stewart was, I really appreciated what he did for Marketa Irglova. He's a real class act.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

In any event, it doesn't look like Jon Stewart will be asked back to host again. I thought he did fine, but I must have been REALLY tired. Nearly every review of the broadcast that I've read (Variety excepted) panned Stewart. And a friend of mine emailed me saying she thought he was horrible, and she's a fan. I guessed I missed something.

I laughed at the political humor. And yeah, from all sides of the spectrum.

Also, the television ratings came out. This may be the lowest rated Academy Awards broadcast ever.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203970464
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I thought Stewart's funniest joke was that Away From Her, about a woman who forgets who her husband is, was Hillary Clinton's feel-good movie of the year.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Dennis Hopper deserves to be made fun of -- this one time "rebel" is now a Republican.

And the Obama/Hitler thing was making fun of the assholes who would try to make an issue of Obama's name (a pre-emptive strike, really). I thought it was hilarious.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

dreaMaker wrote:Now I remember... Well, that Hitler-Obama-Osama thing was pretty annoying... ???
Writers, go back to work! the strike is over!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Now I remember... Well, that Hitler-Obama-Osama thing was pretty annoying... ???
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He made a joke about Hopper not knowing where he was unless someone told him.

And the Hitler thing was a Titler joke making fun of Barack Hussein Obama (Hussein obvious, Obama sounding like Osama, etc.)

It was probably the most crass and irritating thing about the show.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

What did he say about Hopper and Hitler? Can t recall...
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:How long did it officially run over? I lost count.
About 20-21 minutes, if you count closing credits.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jon Stewart is a fine host. I hope he comes back. If he actually had an interesting show, he might do amazing. This one was fairly boring and 2005's was the most predictable in memory. Last year's show would've been far more engaging. I can only hope they give him another shot.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

By the way, I didn´t find any humour to the Hitler´s joke.
The best moments: When John Stewart laughed.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:nice joke... the one about Hillary and Obama and the asteroid! great...

didn't like his take on Dennis Hopper... that was cheap humour...
That was completely humourless.

Return to “The 8th Decade”