80th Oscars: Jon Stewart as Host

1998 through 2007
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Conan also happens to be the best at playing off of bad jokes, which could have worked a number of times this year.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Steve Martin was WONDERFUL! Bring him back, please! And I don't even think he was that bad at all in 2003. Certainly that year he was more memorable than Billy Crystal, Ellen DeGeneres, and Jon Stewart this time around. Sabin's right, Stewart deserves another shot (he was great the year Brokeback lost) though he probably won't get one. And why they've never thought of Conan -- the best guy on the late night circuit -- is beyond me.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There were all manners of tributes that should have occurred but didn't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Whoopi was moved to tears because of her co-hosts support on the View. She was, after all, the first solo female host and, in fact, a four-time host. She was also the first African-American actress to win after Hattie McDaniel, a feat that took 51 years to accomplish. The feeling was that they should have shown a clip of her arriving as Elizabeth from her 1999 gig or shown a bit of her moving acceptance speech from her win.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Speaking of Whoppi, what is she talking about here?:

Whoopi Upset About Oscar Snub

Whoopi Goldberg held back tears as she spoke of her disappointment at not being part of a past Oscars glory tribute on her daily talk show The View on Monday. The actress, who won a Best Supporting Actress honor for Ghost in 1990 and has hosted the Oscars, was left out of a montage of great moments from past shows, which ran throughout Sunday night's Academy Awards ceremony. Trying to see the funny side of the omission, Goldberg joked, "Undoubtedly, I p**sed somebody off once again."

____

She wasn't snubbed at all. For the Best Supporting Actresses through history rundown, not only was she shown actually winning the award, but they showed the moments right before her name was announced as well. Actresses of recent years that I didn't see at all were Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei, Catherine Zeta-Jones, etc.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Fascinating how reaction here to the various hosts runs the gamut.

Like Steph, I think Steve Martin is the perfect host -- dry, witty, possessing just the right touch of acerbicness.

On the other hand, I think that any year Billy Crystal is not the host is a good year. He tries to make the show about himself. Not that the pablum served up by Ellen DeGeneres was an improvement.

I don't think Whoopi's anti-Bush remarks four years ago would be a factor for her not to host the show (if anything, they'd give her greater credibility). I think it's more that she's gone from Top 10 Box-Office star to game show contestant/and TV chatter. She's strictly B list now.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

You don't need a script if Robin Williams were to host. I'd love for either Conan or Williams to host, but I can see a lot of people being turned off by the later.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Flipp, I beg to differ on Martin. I thought he was one of the best hosts we ever had in 2000 and in 2002, yeah he was saddled with the "sad" Oscars, but I thought he did a wonderful job with it. His line delivery after the Michael Moore spectacle was perfect.

Ellen DeGeneres was a complete bore, just as she is on her show. What a dull comedienne! She had so much promise that one time she hosted the Emmys (after September 11th) but everything she's done since then has been completely forgettable.

Conan did a great job hosting the Emmys a few years back (a dull award show in general if ever there was one) and...wow, I'm loving even the idea that they could use him. Come on people! This guy has been great for years!

I'm sorry I'm out of the loop on this but what has Whoopi been saying?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

if they overhaul the thing, they may go for a host that's never done the gig before but might bring in an audience. I'm thinking the last remaining trio member might join Whoopi and Billy. They could always get Robin Williams. But GAH...just as long as they don't hire Regis Philbin or Ryan Seacrest, I'm good...also, no fucking Jay Leno.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

anonymous wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Sabin wrote:Conan?

Magic words, my friend, magic words

I think they're waiting until he takes over The Tonight Show in 2009. THEN, they'll hire him.
I seriously doubt that, Anonymous. I think they are hestitant to bring back any late night talk show hosts (Stewart's not a late night talk show host, neither was Ellen DeGeneres) simply based on the bomb that was David Letterman.
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Flavor Flave?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ellen DeGeneres was terrible last year. She was out of place, had the pithiest one-liners, and just failed to own the room. Jon Stewart at least looked comfortable both this show and last but Ellen was a nervous mess. I'd be amazed if they bring her back.

Whoopi Goldberg is unhirable because of her John Kerry comments unfortunately. She's lost so much work because of her political views that bringing her on stage is too big a risk.

I can't think of anybody they'd bring on after this year. If anything, they might rehaul the whole system and bring in young blood, realize there's a problem. Maybe Gil Cates will lose his job.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zahveed wrote:

I think they're waiting until he takes over The Tonight Show in 2009. THEN, they'll hire him.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:Ellen DeGeneres did a terrible, terrible job last year.
Why, exactly? Honestly, I thought Steve Martin was horrendous the year he hosted and it had nothing to do with the Iraq war. His jokes weren't funny, his wryness was ill-placed and his overall contempt for everyone in the room shone through like a deranged spotlight in a dark theater.

Billy Crystal has always been the best.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Return to “The 8th Decade”