Best Picture

1998 through 2007
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Today, I am very proud to be a Texan.

Still, the win for No Country for Old Men is a bit bittersweet for me because I had the opportunity to work as a production assistant on it and turned it down because I didn't want to stay in Marfa for an extended period of time. Today, I am kicking myself.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:LOL! Okay, Mr. Monday Morning Quarterback. And what was your long-term prediction last year? That "The Lives of Others" was gonna go the way of "Dangerous Moves" and "The Assault"? It's only been a year, and its esteem has very evidently been growing by leaps and bounds.
To be fair to Damien, he has never seen that movie, so of course all the things he said about it can't be properly judged.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:This seems like an In The Heat Of The Night/French Connection kind of win. The type of movie no one in decades ahead will have a whole a lot of negativity towards, but one which few people will have any interest in watching or discussing.

LOL! Okay, Mr. Monday Morning Quarterback. And what was your long-term prediction last year? That "The Lives of Others" was gonna go the way of "Dangerous Moves" and "The Assault"? It's only been a year, and its esteem has very evidently been growing by leaps and bounds.

Two can play at this. It seems more to me like an "Unforgiven" kind of win, a heady choice that is initially more respected and admired than loved by the general audience but over time will come to be appreciated as one of the great achievements in American cinema. :p

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203971442
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Damien wrote:
Heksagon wrote:
Damien wrote:This seems like an In The Heat Of The Night/French Connection kind of win. The type of movie no one in decades ahead will have a whole a lot of negativity towards, but one which few people will have any interest in watching or discussing.

Aren't most Oscar winning movies like that?

I watch The Sting again at least once a year. :D
Well, you're certainly offering a new perspective here...
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

A deserved win, but still should have went to There Will Be Blood. Who's turn is it in the elimination game?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Heksagon wrote:

I watch The Sting again at least once a year. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Rudin may have meant that, while in production stage, he didn't expect the film to win any Oscars.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This seems like an In The Heat Of The Night/French Connection kind of win. The type of movie no one in decades ahead will have a whole a lot of negativity towards, but one which few people will have any interest in watching or discussing.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:That was ridiculous that Rudin said it was a surprise.

Scott Rudin is known in show business circles as the most horrible person alive --a Harry Cohn for our times. Mean, vindictive, crazed. His boyfriend is adjudged to be wither a saint or the wimpiest most docile bottom of all time.
Hey, not all bottoms are wimpy or docile. For all we know, the bf could be a wimpy, docile top.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That was ridiculous that Rudin said it was a surprise.

Scott Rudin is known in show business circles as the most horrible person alive --a Harry Cohn for our times. Mean, vindictive, crazed. His boyfriend is adjudged to be wither a saint or the wimpiest most docile bottom of all time.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Oh, I´m so glad for that recognition! The Coens are coherent and talented filmakers who deserved that win.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Penelope wrote:
Okri wrote:Scott Rudin's a liar, though.

What did he lie about?

I loved that he thanked his boyfriend and called him "honey."
Didn't he say he was completely surprised? I thought he said that.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've seen all 80, smartass.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:There you have it. Not even one of the 50 best pictures ever to win.
Hmm, I didn't know you'd actually seen 50 of them.

Return to “The 8th Decade”