Best Original Song

1998 through 2007
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

dws1982 wrote:(I thought it was the only sane choice of the nominees.)
Amen.

I actually think this is a very good song and very worthy and totally justified by the speech and then the re-speech.

And in the absence of Hard Sun or something along those lines, it gets the job done. Still boggles my mind that Eminem and 36 Mafia received Oscars and Eddie Vedder could not muster a nomination against loads shoddy Disney dreck
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien wrote:I'm not crazy about this mediocrity of a song (sounds like a throwaway cut on a singer-songwriter's album circa 1971, and I hate how it goes upscale, which plays against the emotions of the lyrics), but loved that Jon Stewart brought the chick back. Let this be an everlasting slap in the face of the cut-off obsessiveness of Cates and the monstrous Bill Conti.
Strange. Based on our lists in the top ten thread, you liked Once a lot more than I, and yet I apparently liked "Falling Slowly" a lot more than you. (I thought it was the only sane choice of the nominees.)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm not crazy about this mediocrity of a song (sounds like a throwaway cut on a singer-songwriter's album circa 1971, and I hate how it goes upscale, which plays against the emotions of the lyrics), but loved that Jon Stewart brought the chick back. Let this be an everlasting slap in the face of the cut-off obsessiveness of Cates and the monstrous Bill Conti.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

SO glad they got this right. And I love Jon Stewart even more for letting her come back out and finish her speech.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

The film is kind of "defined" by this song. It's like the film was made to "accompany" the song, not the other way round. Still a delightful film itself to watch.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

From the telecast? Certainly not.

In the film (and on the soundtrack), there was only one string quietly pining in the background.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm guessing my not loving this song can be blamed on the goopy string section. Which I'm assuming was not in the film itself.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yep. Pretty happy about it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is probably one of the best original song winners in the history of this category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Falling Slowly - Once
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”