What would piss you off tonight?

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Oh who cares? These people have no credibility. The Oscars are only interesting as a pop culture thing.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

As it turned out, the sole Juno win didn't piss me off too much since Diablo Cody give a nice, humble speech.

Conversely, the wins for The Boring Ultimatim really pissed me off.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't get pissed off when the French shantoosie won, but I was saddened by Christie's loss even if she herself seemed pleased that she didn't have to get up there and make a speech.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I am resigned to No Country winning the top two which should go to There Will Be Blood.
The biggest pisser-offer would be Blanchett winning so soon after Aviator.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1. Amy Ryan and Javier Bardem both winning. Neither were that great in their roles (Ryan was fine but her role was the kind I could imagine any number of actresses pulling off and Bardem's role was one-note menace. He did it well) and I want surprises. If one wins but not the other, it'll be okay. Blanchett is clearly the best in the field, for me, but I'm rooting for Swinton (who I haven't seen) or Ronan (just because that kind of surprise would give a real kick to the proceedings).

2. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly winning anything.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm going to be pissed if Cate Blanchett wins for I'm Not There. It's an interesting performance deserving of some recognition, but to deny the brilliance of Amy Ryan's phenomenal work for a stunty showcase in a not-even-that-good film would be a travesty. I guess I just think that Ryan, like Christie, is so clearly the best in her category, that there's just no contest.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

dreaMaker wrote:Do you ever wish to see a tie again, like Streisand/Hepburn...? :) That would be exciting :)
I'd love to see a tie in Supporting Actor: Affleck/Bardem, Bardem/Holbrook, or Affleck/Holbrook.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, all the attention on the pedestrian No Country for Old Men has already dampened my Oscar spirit, so I've resigned myself to an undeserving win there, but I think I would be most irritated if:

Daniel Day-Lewis lost
Falling Slowly lost

And really, that's all that I will be pissed about that I haven't resigned myself to.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The French shantoosie winning over the sublime Chrisite - another example of a mannered makeup job winning in the new tradition of Kidman and Theron.

Michael Clayton or Juno winning best picture.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

A tie between the Coens and PTA would be wonderful. I know, I know, it's not gonna happen. But wouldn't that make the race exciting if No Country and Blood were trading tech wins all night and then somehow tied for Director?

No Country is the better film though, so I'm glad it's the front-runner.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Do you ever wish to see a tie again, like Streisand/Hepburn...? :) That would be exciting :)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Marion Cottilard.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't think I'll be too upset at the end of the night. My favorite of the nominees is the frontrunner in Picture and Director.

In Actor, Tommy Lee Jones is far and away my favorite, but I'm resigned to Daniel Day-Lewis winning. His performance is big and attention-grabbing, while Jones's is quiet and subtle, and subtlety is rarely an actor's friend at the Oscars. In Actress, I must be alone in admiring the performances of Page, Christie, and Cotillard equally. Any of them would be something of a default pick for me, and I doubt that any of them will make my final five when it's all said and done, but I don't have a strong preference either way. In Supporting Actor, I'm resigned to Bardem winning. I'm kind of fearing the prospect of Blanchett in Supporting Actress. Still hoping that Amy Ryan pulls it off.

Edited By dws1982 on 1203890384
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ellen Page isn't unworthy, but Julie Christie's performance is so superior to EVERYONE in that category, that it would be a travesty and triumph of bad taste if she lost. Which means we must count it as a distinct possibility.

Juno or Michael Clatyon winning after such an exciting, unusual year where formalist films like No Country and Blood dominated, would be such a disappointing ending and such a quintessential Academy result. Actually, the quintessential Academy result would be choosing the absolute worst film in this category -- which would be Atonement -- but I really don't see that happening, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence with that possibility. Even though I liked Juno, and elements of Michael Clayton (Clooney, Swinton), either one of them winning would be a thoroughly lousy way to cap off this seemingly artistically-revolutionary award season.

Edited By Akash on 1203885650
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

My biggest night-ruiner would be Julie Christie losing to Marion Cotillard or Ellen Page.

Second biggest would be Ruby Dee winning over everyone else in her category, though rooting against Ruby Dee makes me feel like a total jerk.

Return to “The 8th Decade”