Oscar voter polls

1998 through 2007
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sorry Wes, but I disagree. It is the job of the actor to create a story arc for their character, to understand the ups and downs of the script well enough to create a map through the characters' journey. If the film is not chronological, they still must come up with a solution that will not be jarring to members of the audience. There was never a moment in that film, to me at least, that she wasn't ACTING! It was a shallow, showy performance.

And Avril, I am sick of this fascination with Cotillard. So we are even.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think what the mean by she "was" the character is that she delved into the soul and manic energy that was Piaf. She literally embodied her, eliminating any vestige of herself in the process. It was a remarkable transformation and while the makeup is an integral part of the performance (don't most actors say that when they get into makeup and costume it helps them better fit the part?), I think she was incredibly believable. There was no moment that I thought: this is acting. I just thought it was fantastic.

And if we want to talk about things we get tired of hearing, it's that "disconnect between scenes" talk. That we can entirely blame on the director and the editor. Don't fault the performer for something that is beyond their control. If you laid out the film sequentially, chronologically, you would have seen the seamless shift from adolescence to adulthood and to near death. It was entirely a remarkable performance.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The Original BJ wrote:Pretty much everyone around here is light years more articulate than these voters,
Huh.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

What always surprises me is how dull-as-dishwater these comments are year after year. ("Oh my god, she WAS the character!")

Pretty much everyone around here is light years more articulate than these voters, and THAT, not necessarily their individual choices, is what's really sad.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think the actress quoted is Jennifer Tilly and the director Ron Howard.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

She was portraying Piaf she needed makeup they had to make her look like her, I'm sick of this fascination with Julie Christie her career peaked 25 years ago she was fine in an ensemble movie and because of name recognition her co Star Gordon Pinsent was totally ignored.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yes, and that is the minimum that she had going for her. So much of her acting came from the fantastic make-up job. I know we have talked about this at length on another thread, and a couple of other members were on my side here (BJ maybe...Mister Tee?). The major problem I have with Cotillard is that she has no character arc through the film. She is fine in the individual scenes (and the one scene where she discovers that guy has died is very good), but there is no connection between her performance from one moment to another.

Also, I like to hink that I know as much about film acting as anyone else on this board, and maybe more than most. Tell me avril, what do you know about film acting? :)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

avril94 wrote:film fan you don't know anything about film acting Cotillard became another person on screen she was flat out brilliant.
Don't they technically ALL become "another person" onscreen? Isn't that the bare minimum we expect from an actor?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Hustler wrote:The point is that I´ve never even imagined another winner than Christie. She was a lock to me since the beginning. That was the reason that I compared the situation with Berry´s win. Nobody expected her triumph, in spite the fact that I wasn´t upset. I considered her a legitimate winner. I liked her performance.
Yeah except Berry won the SAG a couple of weeks before the Oscars and had "history making" sentiment behind her.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

I don't understand why so many people want Christie to win yeah she was fine in an understated role that was more part of an ensemble she's a previous oscar winner, Cotillard gave a remarkable transformative performance I think Christie'd reputation has alot to do with the awards she's been winning.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, you'll be in a small group, Filmfan, because I happen to think Christie and Cotillard are the year's two best performances for wholly different reasons. I just don't want Page to win for doing the same ol' shit she did in Hard Candy.

Cotillard´s performance is remarkable. I agree. Even though, I also hope Christie to win. Page is far from beating these two. As for Linney, she´s high respected in Hollywood. this circumstance could determine an unthinkable win, as happened with Denzel Washingrton in 2002.

Edited By Hustler on 1203387258
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I would at least hope it's a small group (maybe just Damien and FilmFan) as I am with, I think it was Flipp in thinking that Cotillard was really quite good, which has absolutely nothing to do with Christie's performance, and would be a deserved winner, however, I sincerely hope that is not the case. I thoroughly want Christie to win and think it's kooky talk that these voters could not make it through the film. It's not perfect but it's well made and the 2 performances should be reason enough to want a further viewing and not a first time struggle.

I would be much much more offended with a Ruby Dee victory than an Oscar for Marion Cotillard. At least these 6 and the geezers see through this Ruby Dee slap crap.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Another unthought comment... Avril, of course he knows about acting, that's his opinion, a respectable one, you can have yours and he can have his own, you can live with that...

And back to topic, talking about campaigning. Maybe Christie isn't only NOT campaigning but actually she might be campaigning against her winning. Didn't someone early on the month post a comment about her during the writer's strike that was actually quite hard on the academy, she talked with some disdein about her nod and how unimportant this things are or something like that? Don't remember well but guess she even said she wanted the strike to go on in order to put the academy into some hard time... am I wrong?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

film fan you don't know anything about film acting Cotillard became another person on screen she was flat out brilliant.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, you'll be in a small group, Filmfan, because I happen to think Christie and Cotillard are the year's two best performances for wholly different reasons. I just don't want Page to win for doing the same ol' shit she did in Hard Candy.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”