Oscar voter polls

1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

It's also possible (even likely) that EW polled more than six people originally and just chose to publish the ones with the most outlandish predictions (no Christie, no Ruby Dee I mean), or the ones that would make a few of the races seem more exciting. Hell, EW and Dave Karger are responsible each year for telling Oscar voters what to like. Doesn't that give them a vested interest in drumming up suspense for the dog and pony show they helped orchestrate?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I think the actress quoted is Jennifer Tilly and the director Ron Howard.

Magilla, over at Awards Daily they're speculating those two are Kate Hudson and James L. Brooks. It's a bit like Uri's Keaton/Christie thing -- you can make both fit.

But the screenwriter just has to be William Goldman, doesn't it? There are so few double winners in the category, and it's not Woody Allen, Paddy Chayefsky's dead, and you wouldn't describe Alvin Sargent or Bo Goldman that way.
I think they use William Goldman just about every year. I know they've used Jennifer Tilly in the past and the fact that they didn't say "recent nominee" in talking about the actress led me to believe it was someone nominated a while ago. Her comments also sound like someone older than Kate Hudson.

I don't see James L. Brooks lamenting the absence of The Boune Ultmatum, which sounds more like a film Ron Howard would go for. I also can't imagine Brooks not getting through Away From Her, but I can Howard.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Just remember one thing Julie Christie supporters: YES, WE CAN!

Oh and if you vote for Cotillard, then the terrorists win.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:I think what the mean by she "was" the character is that she delved into the soul and manic energy that was Piaf. She literally embodied her, eliminating any vestige of herself in the process. It was a remarkable transformation and while the makeup is an integral part of the performance (don't most actors say that when they get into makeup and costume it helps them better fit the part?), I think she was incredibly believable. There was no moment that I thought: this is acting. I just thought it was fantastic.
I would add that I was so surprised by seeing that transformation. I remember her from "A Good Year", in which she co-starred along with Russell Crowe. When I watched "La Mome" I had that image in my mind.
She also succeded in beating the prejudice of portraying Piaf`s known character.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

FilmFan720 wrote:Also, I like to hink that I know as much about film acting as anyone else on this board, and maybe more than most.
Where did you get "that" knowledge?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Akash wrote:
avril94 wrote:film fan you don't know anything about film acting Cotillard became another person on screen she was flat out brilliant.

Don't they technically ALL become "another person" onscreen? Isn't that the bare minimum we expect from an actor?
In fact, not every actor has the talent to become another person onscreen.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

For the record, I thought Marion Cotillard did a wonderful job in her film. I just think Christie's performance is in a league of its own -- far superior to all the nominees in her category. Cotillard winning would be disappointing for me but it wouldn't be undeserving like (and shouldn't be compared to) other "pretty women getting ugly for their art in shrill performances." Cotillard is far preferable to say Halle Berry or Charlize Theron.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Well I think the Christie fans should be a little worried I remember the same article a few years back when they interviewed several voters, all said they thought Sissy Spacek was going to win yet none of them voted for her, this is what usually leads to upsets.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mike Kelly wrote:John Malkovich should have been nominated for Being John Malkovich. I really believed he WAS John Malkovich.
I believe you've closed the discussion magnificently.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

John Malkovich should have been nominated for Being John Malkovich. I really believed he WAS John Malkovich.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I wasn't criticizing anyone for picking Cotillard. As Mister Tee said, it's just silly commentary. It'd be like telling someone you're voting for George Clooney because he WAS Michael Clayton.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1203436378
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:I think the actress quoted is Jennifer Tilly and the director Ron Howard.
Magilla, over at Awards Daily they're speculating those two are Kate Hudson and James L. Brooks. It's a bit like Uri's Keaton/Christie thing -- you can make both fit.

But the screenwriter just has to be William Goldman, doesn't it? There are so few double winners in the category, and it's not Woody Allen, Paddy Chayefsky's dead, and you wouldn't describe Alvin Sargent or Bo Goldman that way.

Every year when these things come out, I have to remind myself that the plural of anecdote is not fact -- otherwise I'd be tempted to go for a wild shot like Linney to upset in actress, based on her two mentions. My recollection is there's never been exceptional correlation between the choices made by these select few and the ultimate winners -- though they can corrrelate on obvious picks like Day-Lewis and Bardem.

Yes, FilmFan, I did come down on the not-so-impressed side of La Vie En Rose; check the film's individual thread.

I find the whole "She WAS (Piaf)(Wuormos)(Pick your real-life person)" argument silly; all it basically means is, you liked the performance and you're trying to elevate that to something beyond your opinion. The silliest thing is, over the years I've heard people make that comment about impersonations for which they could not possibly vouch -- a decade ago, you heard "Cate Blanchett WAS Elizabeth", and I even heard it about Paul Scofield in a Man for All Seasons.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I have to disagree with all of you...

Casey Affleck deserves the oscar for best actress.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I think she did quite well. I thought the performance was seamless even if the script bounced around. I never once failed to connect with her persona at any stage in her life and was not "jarred" by the performance itself. The film, on the other hand, was a relative mess.

But it's nice to know that actors are entirely responsible for a film's failure to be cohesive. You should write a thesis to present to the WGA, DGA, ACE and PGA post haste.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I come to believe that i was less fascinated with Christie than everyone else seems to be, not because she wasn't excellent (she really was), but because i liked Pinsent's performance so much more. To me, he had the most difficult role in the film and had a much more challenging job to do. Don't get me wrong i really liked Christie, but my vote would without a doubt go to Marion Cotillard.

Return to “The 8th Decade”