Oscar voter polls

1998 through 2007
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Someone said elsewhere that Feinberg has interviewed Borgnine more than once in the past, making him a likely candidate. And it's only Feinberg's opinion that he's one of the great character actors ever.

I, too, gravitated toward Ward immediately as the screenwriter. I actually have a relatively high opinion of Alvin Sargent (plus, wouldn't he be noted as a double winner)?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think the thing that ties Dowd to it more than Ward is her penchant for silliness, having been so involved with SNL and Lars, which I haven't seen, seems to me more like an extended SNL skit than anything else. Besides which, the woamn has written some pretty silly screenplays herself including Swing Shift and Slap Shot 2.

Borgnine fits the actor even better than Duvall though calling him one of he greatest character actors ever is quite a stretch. Fontaine seems reasonable as well. Could be the reason she had no problem with the subtitles on La Vie en Rose is because she's fluent in French and didn't have to read them.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Intertesting analysis, Rolo, but I think you draw the wrong conclsuion. Ward wouldn't be turned off by the violence, but Dowd might be. She's the only one I can see really liking Lars and the Real Girl.

Damien, Duvall seems spot on. Burstyn does to a point, but is she really a legendary stage star as well as a film star? Also, by "golden age" is Feinberg talking about the 70s or 40s? If the latter, Jennifer Jones comes to mind, but she wasn't a stage star, either.

It could be Faye Dunaway.
i did not think ward would be turned off by violence, just intelligent filmmaking.

i did not want it to seem sexist, but could it be that the only woman to win an oscar for writing during the 70's might have a problem with violence? i would like to give women in hollywood more credit than that. plus, i know a woman wrote LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, but i would think more women would be offended by the whole concept.

for the actress, i would think dunaway would identify strongly with tilda swinton's character since she so resembles diana from NETWORK.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mike, I think you're right with Ernest Borgnine. I interviewed him a couple years ago, and these seem like words that would come out of his mouth.

Film Fan, Julie certainly meets the legend criterion, but the 60s and 1982 don't seem to be Golden Age. But I could see Julie voting for Atonement and Cotillard.

Rolo, thanks for the research. I'd go with David S. Ward.

Edited By Damien on 1203710036
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

What about Joan Fontaine and Ernest Borgnine? Duvall makes more sense, but I've read several interviews where he really doesn't think much of the Golden Age films and actors; especially actors whom he thought were mostly terrible.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Julie Andrews and Liza Minnelli are two other possiblities for the Actress, and I can see both going for the musical performance (or performance in a musical, I should say). They each had multiple nominations, but maybe not several.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Intertesting analysis, Rolo, but I think you draw the wrong conclsuion. Ward wouldn't be turned off by the violence, but Dowd might be. She's the only one I can see really liking Lars and the Real Girl.

Damien, Duvall seems spot on. Burstyn does to a point, but is she really a legendary stage star as well as a film star? Also, by "golden age" is Feinberg talking about the 70s or 40s? If the latter, Jennifer Jones comes to mind, but she wasn't a stage star, either.

It could be Faye Dunaway.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1203704578
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dws1982 wrote:WRITER
An screenwriter who won an Oscar during the seventies...

* Best Picture: Juno
* Best Director: Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
* Best Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (In the Valley of Elah)
* Best Actress: Ellen Page (Juno)
* Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)
* Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
* Best Adapted Screenplay: Ronald Harwood (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
* Best Original Screenplay: Nancy Oliver (Lars and the Real Girl)

Other sentiments: Thought Juno was "a wonderful film"; hated There Will Be Blood and "turned it off"; found No Country to be glorification of violence; went into Diving Bell hating Schnabel and came out respecting his unique vision and Harwood's screenplay; was "thrilled" Tommy Lee Jones got nominated; "very tempted" to vote for Cody, but feels Olvier's screenplay was the toughest to make work, and that she succeeded

of all the people quoted here, i was most annoyed by the writer. they seem like probably the same asshole that voted for CRASH. i did a little investigating (as in i looked at imdb) to see who it could possibly be.

Robert Benton – KRAMER VS KRAMER
Steve Tesich (deceased) – BREAKING AWAY
Nancy Dowd, Waldo Salt (deceased), Robert Jones – COMING HOME
Oliver Stone – MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Woody Allen, Marshall Brickman – ANNIE HALL
Alvin Sargent – JULIA
Paddy Chayefsky (deceased) – NETWORK
William Goldman – ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN
Frank Pierson – DOG DAY AFTERNOON
Lawrence Hauben (deceased), Bo Goldman – ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST
Robert Towne – CHINATOWN
Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo (deceased) – THE GODFATHER II
William Peter Blatty – THE EXORCIST
David Ward – THE STING
Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo (deceased) – THE GODFATHER
Jeremy Larner – THE CANDIDATE
Ernest Tidyman (deceased) – THE FRENCH CONNECTION
Paddy Chayefsky (deceased) – THE HOSPITAL
Ring Lardner (deceased)- MASH
Francis Ford Coppola, Edmund North (deceased) – PATTON

of the folks still alive, i cannot imagine coppola, blatty, towne, pierson, or stone bemoaning a film for glorifying violence considering what they were nominated for.
allen, larner, jones, and william goldman seem too intelligent to make such asinine remarks.

that leaves us with robert benton, marshall brickman, nancy dowd, david ward, alvin sargent, and bo goldman.
benton is responsible for some pretty craptastic films, but he also wrote BONNIE & CLYDE...so why would he make any comments against violence.
brickman wrote a muppets movie tagged as "the end to sex and violence in movies." maybe it was him.
goldman is responsible for some pretty good movies but some pretty bad ones as well. he could be stupid enough to think JUNO was brilliant.
ward is behind some pretty incredible stinkers and one of the worst best picture winners. he seems like the kind of person who would not even be able to get through THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
dowd seems like she would admire a film like JUNO and really want to reward LARS AND THE REAL GIRL. both those films felt like extended saturday night live sketches, and she is a writer for that show.
sargent is the person i am leaning toward. his filmography just screams old codger who hates art films.

anyone have any other ideas?

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1203700931
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I suspect the actress is Ellen Burstyn, the actor Robert Duvall.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Why isn't anyone voting for Amy Ryan? It's so disappointing.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Scott Feinberg polled three voters himself to get these results. Actually I suspect he polled more than three and just used the most interesting results (three different votes in Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Screenplays), but here it is:

ACTRESS
A legendary star of the stage and screen who accumulated several Oscar nominations and one win during the Golden Age...

* Best Picture: Atonement
* Best Director: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (No Country for Old Men)
* Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
* Best Actress: Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)
* Best Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War)
* Best Supporting Actress: Ruby Dee (American Gangster)
* Best Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton (Atonement)
* Best Original Screenplay: Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava (Ratatouille)

Other sentiments: "Really liked Atonement"; "loved Ratatouille"; had no reservations about watching La Vie En Rose due to subtitles; was not bothered by the ending to No Country; is supporting Dee "because of the performance," not any sense of debt

WRITER
An screenwriter who won an Oscar during the seventies...

* Best Picture: Juno
* Best Director: Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
* Best Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (In the Valley of Elah)
* Best Actress: Ellen Page (Juno)
* Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)
* Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
* Best Adapted Screenplay: Ronald Harwood (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
* Best Original Screenplay: Nancy Oliver (Lars and the Real Girl)

Other sentiments: Thought Juno was "a wonderful film"; hated There Will Be Blood and "turned it off"; found No Country to be glorification of violence; went into Diving Bell hating Schnabel and came out respecting his unique vision and Harwood's screenplay; was "thrilled" Tommy Lee Jones got nominated; "very tempted" to vote for Cody, but feels Olvier's screenplay was the toughest to make work, and that she succeeded

ACTOR
One of the greatest character actors ever who, ironically, won an Oscar for a leading role

* Best Picture: No Country for Old Men
* Best Director: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (No Country for Old Men)
* Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
* Best Actress: Julie Christie (Away from Her)
* Best Supporting Actor: Hal Holbrook (Into the Wild)
* Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
* Best Adapted Screenplay: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (No Country for Old Men)
* Best Original Screenplay: Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton)

Other sentiments: "They don't make 'em like we used to make 'em," but No Country was "not too shabby"; "the young guy who played the oilman" did "a pretty terrific job"; Juno was "alright, but left you wanting more"; voting for Holbrook "because of his longevity, and he's done so mighty, mighty fine work... not for his performance or anything, although that wasn't bad either"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

In the invisible thread most of us had agreed that no one should be banished except for the most egregious reasons. Although Crunchy's links had been disabled before I saw them, this would seem to be a case where banning is warranted.

Death to Spammers! :D
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

That was stupid and completely off-topic.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Crunchy
Graduate

Post by Crunchy »

LOL, Oscars 2008 Spoof:

(OG: Link removed)

Edited By OscarGuy on 1203460303
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Akash wrote:
MovieWes wrote:I think it's fairly obvious who the actor in this is in this: it's definately John C. Reilly.

Well, there's no way to know for sure, but that would certainly explain his loyalty to PTA's film wouldn't it? (Picture, Director, Actor)
Not only that, but he co-starred with Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “The 8th Decade”