Shocking News

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sonic Youth wrote:I'd say the thread title is a little over-the-top, but maybe that's just me. I thought another strike just happened, or something.
You´re right. The Topic title would have been Surprising News. Anyway, I have nothing to do with yellow press. LOL!
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:I think so many people WANT there to be a surprise that they are tricking themselves into believing its going to happen. I would LOVE for anything but No Country for Old Men to win. I haven't seen Michael Clayton, but any of the other three films would be a better choice and in There Will Be Blood, you have the kind of film that history will look back on with respect if it were to win.

However, I also expect from all the "acclaim" No Country has received, I have no doubt that it's going to win. Much to my chagrin, but there it is. I'll hope until the final envelope is opened, but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
Wes. I´ve seen NCFOM twice and I can guarantee you, the film is absoutely delightful on a second view.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think so many people WANT there to be a surprise that they are tricking themselves into believing its going to happen. I would LOVE for anything but No Country for Old Men to win. I haven't seen Michael Clayton, but any of the other three films would be a better choice and in There Will Be Blood, you have the kind of film that history will look back on with respect if it were to win.

However, I also expect from all the "acclaim" No Country has received, I have no doubt that it's going to win. Much to my chagrin, but there it is. I'll hope until the final envelope is opened, but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1203567820
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'd say the thread title is a little over-the-top, but maybe that's just me. I thought another strike just happened, or something.

"The Departed" wasn't a surprise to me. And if there's gonna be a surprise this year, there had better be some credible reasons why. "Crash" may have been a true shocker, but at least we were aware there were factors out there that would have made "Crash" the spoiler, and a more likelier spoiler than, for example, "Good Night and Good Luck". Frankly, if any film other than "No Country for Old Men" won, it would be a surprise, (though less so if it were "There Will Be Blood.") I don't see a 'shocker' happening this year.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203567236
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:
Hustler wrote:(IMO The Departed was not a lock)

"Not a lock" does not equal "surprise winner".

I could be eating these words come Sunday, but I'm stunned that anyone is still considering Atonement any kind of a possibility for Best Picture.
I agree.

That stated, I think Atonement would most definitely qualify as a surprise winner (and I'm seeing a number of people calling Schanbel a possibility. Really?). Atonement so clearly barely slid into the final spot. I wonder if it would cause a "rewriting" of the rules, so to speak. Last year, Mister Tee consistently (and correctly, it turned out) dismissed Little Miss Sunshine as a strong contender based on it's lack of a directing nod, and while we've had a number of director/picture splits, we haven't had something as out there as this.

I'm more curious if we can have another line-up where all five best picture nominees end up with oscars. Atonement is good for score and costumes, Clayton could win one for Swinton, and the other three have obvious possibilities already. And I'm wondering who wins best supporting actress, because I genuinely think all five contenders have a shot.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wouldn't be shocked by any of the five films winning best picture. For me the only shocks would be if Daniel Day-Lewis and Julie Christie did not win., in which case I would say the Oscars as we know them are dead and should be buried.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Hustler wrote:(IMO The Departed was not a lock)
"Not a lock" does not equal "surprise winner".

I could be eating these words come Sunday, but I'm stunned that anyone is still considering Atonement any kind of a possibility for Best Picture.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Are we going to have a surprise winner for best Picture this coming sunday, as it happened the last two years? (IMO The Departed was not a lock) In that case, Atonement could be the one, snubbing NCFOM and TWBB.
What do you think?

Return to “The 8th Decade”