Tommy Lee Jones
6%
Viggo Mortensen
6%

Total votes: 34

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I thought that Depp and Mortensen were equally underwhelming. Since I knew Depp was probably running away with it, I chose Mortensen.

Didn't see Jones or Clooney yet, although I will tonight.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Johnny Depp is like the Hubert Humphrey of the Oscars. Why's he gotta get the nod now? He's not the Johnny Depp that he used to be! I can't complain about the inimitable Jack Sparrow which is still a delightful diversion in the first Pirates (the second was lazy awfulness and I didn
bother with the third) but J.M. Barrie is the actors most shamelessly dull creation with none of the intensity or bugfuck insanity of his best work. On that note, I'd argue that Viggo Mortensen gave Johnny Depp's best performance this year.

Emile Hirsch is fine but missing the inner-loon that would've made Supertamp more than an immediately recognizable unconscious poseur. And Ryan Gosling just mugs, mugs, mugs. But there is nothing as detrimental in either of these perfs as Depp & Carter's singing. Honestly, WTF? How did this come to pass? How was this not rectified in post-? Who's to blame? Heads will roll indeed. It's be easier to palate if Depp didn't tackle the role with the skin-deep panache of a Jr. High Drama Queen - I'M PLAYING SWEENEY! HEY, GUYS!

I haven't seen the play. I don't have to. This is really silly, unconvincing stuff. It reminded me of a South Park musical parody. Depp sings like Eric Cartman.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:I was pleasantly surprised at Viggo's nomination, but Johnny Depp for this treacle is wrong.

Oh, crap. Not you too.
Hey, anonymous, I didn't vote for your boy Johnny Depp.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

anonymous wrote:87% Fresh in RottenTomatoes

83% (Universally Acclaimed) in Metacritic.

I don't know what planet you're from but I'm from planet Earth. :p
Oh wait, you thought I was still referring to Sweeney Todd. Oh...sorry.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Steph2 wrote:
anonymous wrote:Jesus Christ, people. I feel like I'm talking to people from another planet when it comes to Sweeney Todd.

You are. The rest of us are from Planet Earth.

#160 in the IMDb Top 250

87% Fresh in RottenTomatoes

83% (Universally Acclaimed) in Metacritic.

I don't know what planet you're from but I'm from planet Earth. :p

Call Sweeney Todd what you will. But it's far from a critical failure.

Edited By anonymous on 1201718764
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

anonymous wrote:Jesus Christ, people. I feel like I'm talking to people from another planet when it comes to Sweeney Todd.

You are. The rest of us are from Planet Earth.

I vote for Johnny Depp. His spot could have gone to any number of more deserving actors (Pinsent, McAvoy, Hirsch, Gosling, Affleck in the right category, Brolin, Laneglla...just to name a few) and his inclusion prevents this category from being uncommonly good. I admit I'm not all that impressed with Clooney either, but at least he doesn't outright suck.

Heck I'll take the male vocal work in The Simpsons Movie over Depp nin Sweeney Todd!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:I was pleasantly surprised at Viggo's nomination, but Johnny Depp for this treacle is wrong.
Oh, crap. Not you too.

I voted for George Clooney so that Johnny Depp won't hog all the votes.

Jesus Christ, people. I feel like I'm talking to people from another planet when it comes to Sweeney Todd.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I copied and pasted from one, I think the title is self-explanatory. I just don't want to have to go back through the two dozen posts to correct them all.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:Which film do you think was the worst film included in for this category.
Wes, you need to correct your post. I assume you mean what´s the worst actor included. I´m going with Deep.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh god, Johnny Depp by a WIIIIIDE margin. He's really preventing this lineup from being the best since, well...2005 I guess. Which isn't new for him -- he prevented 2004 from being remembered fondly as well.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I was pleasantly surprised at Viggo's nomination, but Johnny Depp for this treacle is wrong.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Which film do you think was the worst film included in for this category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”