Presenters

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Hustler wrote:
In 2002 she played Old Laura Brown in The Hours, though her scenes were reshooted.

Why did that happened? In the final version, Julianne Moore appears characterized as the old Laura Brown.

According to IMDB, after watching the scene the director and producer believed that people would not recognize the character. Wikipedia states the same thing: "The producers realised it would be too confusing for audiences seeing the same character played by a different actress, so Blair was dropped and her scenes were reshot with Moore in old-age make-up."

Nonetheless, her picture on wikipedia fits perfectly the character...

By the way Hustler, I must be missing something, but can't remember where O'Toole and Christie were couple in... the only film I can remember them both working on is Troy and they're never together (actually, she was unforgivably underused)... what film are you refering to?

Oops! I made a mistake, sorry. I was trying to say: Julie Christie and Omar Shariff.

Edited By Hustler on 1203377646
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All the awards in this anniversary year should be presented by co-stars of previous winners, but alas, it's not going to happen.

I knew Betsy Blair filmed the scenes for The Hours, but the story I heard was that she wasn't very good. Hopefully the "confusing" issue is closer to the truth.

I knew that Blair was married to Gene Kelly, but I didn't realize she later married Karel Reisz and was in fact married to him for nearly 40 years until his death. I was also unaware of her investigation by HUAC.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Hustler wrote:
In 2002 she played Old Laura Brown in The Hours, though her scenes were reshooted.

Why did that happened? In the final version, Julianne Moore appears characterized as the old Laura Brown.

According to IMDB, after watching the scene the director and producer believed that people would not recognize the character. Wikipedia states the same thing: "The producers realised it would be too confusing for audiences seeing the same character played by a different actress, so Blair was dropped and her scenes were reshot with Moore in old-age make-up."

Nonetheless, her picture on wikipedia fits perfectly the character...

By the way Hustler, I must be missing something, but can't remember where O'Toole and Christie were couple in... the only film I can remember them both working on is Troy and they're never together (actually, she was unforgivably underused)... what film are you refering to?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Peter O'Toole & Omar Sharif

Julie Christie and Peter O´Toole would be a better couple.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I remember a few years ago someone suggested that we all present the awards, and between each announcement sit and discuss the outcome.

I think that's the way to go...
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I clearly remember Taylor and Newman presenting Best Picture. It was great to have Taylor saying "The Silence of tha Lambs". Why can't we have a great couple from an Oscar winning film (or at least from a classic film like COAHTR) presenting the big award? An option?

What about Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer? They'd be my first option actually. Other couples I can imagine include:
- Peter O'Toole & Omar Sharif (just imagine the music as they appear on stage. Plus, that'd be a nice touch from the academy after O'Toole failed to win in his eight nomination last year and Sharif is in a possible blockbuster this year, 10.000 B.C.)
- Dustin Hoffman & Jon Voight (this would be more likely, both americans, both usually show up in the ceremony, previous winners, not too old, quite recognizable for popular audiences)
- Ernest Borgnanine & Betsy Blair (she must be in quite acceptable health. In 2002 she played Old Laura Brown in The Hours, though her scenes were reshooted. He has appeared in previous "Oscar Family Albums")
- Warren Beatty & Faye Dunaway (I'd love to see this)
- Jodie Foster & Anthony Hopkins (the best of the "contemporary" choices)
- The Corleone family (what's left of it): Al Pacino, James Caan, Talia Shire & Robert Duvall (Tom Hagen is as much a Corleone as Michael is).
- Dustin Hoffman & Meryl Streep... maybe Justin Henry (He's on Lost, right?)
- Nicholson & Fletcher
- Albert Finney & Susannah York (highly unlikely. He doesn't show up, not even when he is nominated. Don't know much about her)

To a minor degree:
- Kate Winslet & Leonardo DiCaprio (not my favorite film, nor my favorite couple, but iconic enough. They're the couple from the 70th ceremony' winner film. I can see this happening. Besides, it's always nice to see Winslet, and they as a couple are a good thing to see. Anything newer than this would be absurd, like Crowe/Connelly or Spacey/Bening)
- F. Murray Abraham & Tom Hulce (not much of a classic couple. Would be nice to see but that's it. Hulce recently won a Tony for producing Spring Awakening. Abraham is wasting his life making films about blood-thirsty sharks!)

Couples I don't want to see:
- Stallone & Shire
- Hoffman & Cruise
- Streep & Redford
- Don't ask me why, I can not even tell: Nicholson and MacLaine, or MacLaine and Winger
- Fiennes & Scott Thomas (Love the film, but this ain't a classic couple. He's like a great actor but not a star, she hasn't done anything significative recently, though she was great in Gosford Park)

Any thoughts?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

jack wrote:I gonna say Harrison Ford persents Best Picture and Scorsese Best Director... But the last one's a bit obvious.

What about George Clooney or Denzel Washington as presenters for Best Picture?.

Edited By Hustler on 1203361097
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

jack wrote:Didn't Barbra Striesand present Best Picture with a drunk Dustin Hoffman a few year ago?
Yep. It was 3 years ago. But I didn´t noticed that Hoffman was drunk.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Plus, Kristin Chenoweth is one of our greatest singers. For once, maybe Gil Cates is showing good taste, and not making us listen to the shrieking sounds that come out of Idina Menzel everytime she "sings"
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It could be because Idina Menzel has no name recognition in the film world (not much anyway). Whereas Kristen Chenoweth has built something of a name for herself. She's had many more film roles, has made a massive tour of chat shows and is in a popular television show (Pushing Daisies).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Hustler wrote:Also from “Enchanted” (and written by Menken and Schwartz) will be “That’s How You Know,” sung by Kristin Chenoweth and Marlon Saunders.
I asked this before... does somebody know why? why Kristin? The film even had a big broadway actress and in fact it would have make more sense to have Idina singing in here... this is another out of nowhere choice I guess. It would be nice, I love her, the song is perfect for her but I don't understand how she got here.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I hope so Magilla.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It would seem so. It may be too late to for most of them to make travel plans, but then again, maybe they're planning to surprise us.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

So, that means that this year they will skip the Oscar Family album with all the previous winners live?

Return to “The 8th Decade”