Presenters

1998 through 2007
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

Mister Tee wrote:Who the hell is Jonah Hill?
Jack Black's understudy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

80 years of previous winners to get as presenters and the farthest back they could go was 1985 for Harrison Ford. Couldn't they have asked Julie Christie to present something since she has to be there anyway?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Hustler wrote:
I think, especially in Gil Cates' mind, none of the women you cite are big enough STARS to merit presenting the top prize
So, let´s get rid of him!
We've chanted for it for years. Never seems to work.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I think, especially in Gil Cates' mind, none of the women you cite are big enough STARS to merit presenting the top prize
So, let´s get rid of him!

Edited By Hustler on 1203025316
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
jack wrote:I gonna say Harrison Ford persents Best Picture and Scorsese Best Director... But the last one's a bit obvious.

Why can't they ever have a FEMALE acting legend present the Best Picture award? Say, Maggie Smith. Or Meryl Streep. Or Joanne Woodward. Why do we always have this rotating assembly line of Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, etc? I'm so over it.
I think, especially in Gil Cates' mind, none of the women you cite are big enough STARS to merit presenting the top prize. My guess would be, only Julia Roberts fits his narrow criteria.

Streep is in a sort of separate category: she's lionized, but she's never been truly popular with audiences, even if an occasional film breaks through to wider success.

Going not too far back in time, Streisand, Elizabeth Taylor and Cher have given out best picture.

The problem in general is, so few "serious" movies make the kind of money that makes a performer a star these days that there's a real dichotomy between those we respect and those the industry considers big enough. Thus, the seeming assembly line of Nicholson/Ford/Hanks, among the few leftovers who still seem to bridge the gap. Clooney might be the rare guy who could be added to the group.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Didn't Barbra Striesand present Best Picture with a drunk Dustin Hoffman a few year ago?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Mister Tee wrote:Who the hell is Jonah Hill?

He played Michael Cera's curly-haired fat friend in Superbad. He was also one of Seth Rogen's buddies in Knocked Up.

Why can't they ever have a FEMALE acting legend present the Best Picture award? Say, Maggie Smith. Or Meryl Streep. Or Joanne Woodward. Why do we always have this rotating assembly line of Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, etc? I'm so over it.

Diane Keaton presented Best Picture last year.

Edited By MovieWes on 1203023806
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

jack wrote:I gonna say Harrison Ford persents Best Picture and Scorsese Best Director... But the last one's a bit obvious.
Uh! Harrison Ford once again! the best picture award has showed us the same actors every year, From Cruise to Nicholson (Two years in a row!). It has becoming so boring!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is SUCH a Gil Cates list -- people you'd pay not to see (Cameron Diaz or Renee Zellweger); The Rock, for his enduring cinematic contributions; vapid starlets like Alba and Hathaway; the inevitable Travolta and Queen Latifah.

Who the hell is Jonah Hill?

The vaguely interesting ones: Colin Farrell (can't remember: has he done this before?), James McAvoy. Oh, and Alan Arkin -- who, without winning an Oscar, would never have come within a country mile of the stage.

Does Harrison Ford really rate giving out best picture these days? Seems he hasn't been a star in some time. But I guess promoting The Last Remake of Indiana Jones makes him "hot" on the Cates scale.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Who's your avatar Flipp?

Ryan Daharsh. He's so fucking yummy.

Edited By flipp525 on 1203022610
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Who's your avatar Flipp?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I gonna say Harrison Ford persents Best Picture and Scorsese Best Director... But the last one's a bit obvious.

Edited By jack on 1203022139
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Apparently, there are no suprises here. Same cast, same old story.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oh god, Katherine Heigl, GO AWAY! And Seth Rogen's laugh makes me want to blind myself with a screwdriver.

There do seem to be a lot of A-list stars though. I like it that all of last year's acting winners are coming back to present.

Edited By flipp525 on 1203021995
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Finally!

February 14, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
tthompson@oscars.org

Oscar® Show Participants Revealed
Beverly Hills, CA –– Eightieth Academy Awards® telecast producer Gil Cates and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis today announced the presenters and performers who will participate in the February 24 Oscar® telecast.

At a press conference held at the Academy’s headquarters today (Thursday), Cates and Ganis announced the presenters scheduled to date, including all four of last year’s winners in the acting categories—Alan Arkin, Jennifer Hudson, Helen Mirren and Forest Whitaker—as well as Amy Adams, Jessica Alba, Cate Blanchett, Josh Brolin, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Penelope Cruz, Miley Cyrus, Patrick Dempsey, Cameron Diaz, Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Jennifer Garner, Tom Hanks, Anne Hathaway, Katherine Heigl, Jonah Hill, Dwayne Johnson, Nicole Kidman, James McAvoy, Queen Latifah, Seth Rogen, Martin Scorsese, Hilary Swank, John Travolta, Denzel Washington and Renee Zellweger.

Cates and Ganis also announced the performers of the nominated songs. Amy Adams will sing “Happy Working Song” from “Enchanted” (music by Alan Menken and lyric by Stephen Schwartz). Also from “Enchanted” (and written by Menken and Schwartz) will be “That’s How You Know,” sung by Kristin Chenoweth and Marlon Saunders, and “So Close,” to be performed by Jon McLaughlin.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will perform their nominated song, “Falling Slowly,” from the motion picture “Once,” and Jamia Simone Nash will perform “Raise It Up,” from “August Rush,” with the IMPACT Repertory Theatre of Harlem, headed by Jamal Joseph, who shares the song’s music and lyric credit with Charles Mack and Tevin Thomas.

Also scheduled to return to the Oscar telecast team will be writers Hal Kanter, Buz Kohan, Jon Macks and Bruce Vilanch.

Second-time Oscar show host Jon Stewart will also bring on several writers to work on the telecast.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2007 will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2008, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5 p.m. PT. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

Return to “The 8th Decade”