Which clip will/should they use?

1998 through 2007
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

George Clooney: "Do I look like I'm negotiating?!"
Daniel Day-Lewis: "I abandoned my boy!"
Johnny Depp: Todd reacts to having the Judge in his chair and he gets away.
Tommy Lee Jones: Haven't seen it.
Viggo Mortensen: "Tell them, that when you saw me, I had stars on my shoulders."

Cate Blanchett: Her speech to the British army. Very Braveheart.
Julie Christie: "I'll see you tomorrow." or "He doesn't make me feel bad."
Marion Cotillard: Edith Piaf realizes Marcel is dead or when she first hears Non, je ne regrette rien
Laura Linney: Haven't seen it.
Ellen Page: Juno asks her dad how she can be sure if love exists.

Casey Affleck: Haven't seen it.
Javier Bardem: "You've been betting on it your whole life."
Hal Holbrook: Haven't seen it.
Philip Seymour Hoffman: Haven't seen it.
Tom Wilkinson: Leaving a voice mail with the radio blaring in the background.

Cate Blanchett: Haven't seen it.
Ruby Dee: The cabinet monologue.
Saoirse Ronan: Haven't seen it.
Amy Ryan: Haven't seen it.
Tilda Swinton: She decides to have **someone** killed.

And on a personal note, I hope they do the screenplay reading thing again, where they read a snippet of scene description from the script, then leads into one line of dialog. Also liked it when they show the cutaway between each scene. Also, I wish they'd go back to describing how certain effects were achieved rather than just announcing the names for catagories like Make-Up or Visual Effects. Or is it because they are tired of saying "This was CG, this was CG and, oh look, this was CG." Maybe it's just me, but I believe that every away should be given their moment to shine in their respective fields.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:Here are some ideas. **SPOILERS** ensue...

Daniel Day-Lewis: "I abandoned my boy!"
:::SPOILERS:::
that is definitely my choice. the academy always tends to pick the wrong clip. i just hope they do not use the "i drink your milkshake" scene. in the context of the entire movie, it works (some people disagree, i know); i just do not think it is the highlight of day-lewis' incredible performance.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

flipp525 wrote:Philip Seymour Hoffman: Gust argues with his boss in his opening scene. Great moment.
This scene.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Why would he argue about the movie? He's seen it by now.

:)

(just kidding. love you, buddy)
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:::hoping and praying this thread doesn't devolve into yet another Sweeney Todd debate::
Not until Anonymous shows up.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

::hoping and praying this thread doesn't devolve into yet another Sweeney Todd debate::
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now, now, Akash. Let's let Sabin make up his own mind on that. After all, I would hate to say we unduly influenced him.

Though, I guess if he read any part of the Sweeney Todd discussion, he knows who does and doesn't like it and pretty much why.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh the movie blows anyway Sabin. You're not losing much.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'll take half the blame because I didn't see the spoiler warning but on the other hand I did NOT see that spoiler warning. Whatever. It's fine. I'm guessing that's kind of a major 3rd Act revelation thing and DO NOT TELL ME IF IT IS, FLIPP!
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I've edited it.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It was a small warning, anyone could have easily passed it. Next time spoliers ensue we should make the word caps as such: SPOILER... or if there were some way to change the font color so you could highlight the spoilers if you really wanted to look at them.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:I'm not going to highlight what you posted, Flipp. But I have to ask: Did you seriously just post that? Under Johnny Depp's Oscar clip? I'm in a different country, man. I wanted to see that movie. Did you seriously just post that?

I'm sorry that I ruined that plot point for you, Sabin, but I did happen to start the post out with a spoilers warning for that very reason.

Edited By flipp525 on 1202314843

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm not going to highlight what you posted, Flipp. But I have to ask: Did you seriously just post that? Under Johnny Depp's Oscar clip? I'm in a different country, man. I wanted to see that movie. Did you seriously just post that?
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Linney's moment will be her tirade against how the upscale nursing home still hold death and rot but just mask it behind expensive walls, if it doesn't contain too much profanity (can't remember).

Holbrook will ask Hirsch if he can take him as his adoptive son.

Edited By Eric on 1202313801
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Here are some ideas. **SPOILERS** ensue...

George Clooney: "You don't kill me! I’m the one who gets things done."
Daniel Day-Lewis: "I abandoned my boy!" or the scene where Daniel entertains Eli's proposal for his introduction at the new derrick.
Johnny Depp: Todd's horror upon realizing he's just killed his own wife.
Tommy Lee Jones: Haven't seen it.
Viggo Mortensen: Haven't seen it.

Cate Blanchett: "I have a hurricane within me that will strip Spain bare!"
Julie Christie: Fiona and her husband both tacitly ignore the fact that she just put the frying pan in the fridge.
Marion Cotillard: Edith Piaf realizes, after a vivid dream, that her lover, Marcel, is dead.
Laura Linney: Wendy shares a tender moment with the dog while her married lover fucks her.
Ellen Page: Juno finally admits to her parents that she's pregnant.

Casey Affleck: Haven't seen it.
Javier Bardem: The coin toss in the gas station with the trembling old man. Simply terrifying.
Hal Holbrook: Haven't seen it.
Philip Seymour Hoffman: Gust argues with his boss in his opening scene. Great moment.
Tom Wilkinson: "I am the goddess Shiva." Very Howard Beale-esque.

Cate Blanchett: Jude simply cannot believe that he's meeting Allen Ginsberg.
Ruby Dee: Da slap. "You don't shoot cops."
Saoirse Ronan: Briony convinces herself that Robbie's the one that she saw, while coaching Lola after the attack.
Amy Ryan: Helene is introduced sitting on her couch with a friend.
Tilda Swinton: "Where do you expect me to find $10M dollars?"

Edited By flipp525 on 1202343423

Return to “The 8th Decade”