Best Picture Nominee - No Oscar Wins

1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

rudeboy wrote: Ratatouille could well win one or both of the sound categories - I can't see Transformers as a multiple winner, and Ratatouille seems the next most obvious choice to pull off a win there (the Academy have shown no interest in the Bourne movies up to now, so don't see why they should start now).

I would love that. Didn't "The Incredibles" win Sound Editing? So they have at least branched out into the general categories for a Pixar film (other than music).

My hopeless wish: Ratatouille deservingly wins everything it's up for (Animated Film, Screenplay, Score, Sound Mixing, and Sound Editing) making it the most honored animated film ever at the Oscars, and the big tally winner of the night (either tying or besting No Country's total).

Hey, if they can give the Matrix four, the same night American Beauty wins five...

Edited By Akash on 1202949316
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Well, the James Bond series didn't pick up any nominations until Goldfinger, and it won for Sound Effects (I guess that's the 1964 equivalent of Sound Editing). Perhaps the Bourne series could be headed in the same direction.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is the first time any part of the series has been nominated. Since nominations are handled on a branch level and awards on the membership level, I could see it picking up some trophies now that it's finally been nominated. I think some may want to honor a series that has been consistent in its ability to please an audience. I think editing may be its best shot, though. Of course, it kinda smells like Black Hawk Down, which means editing and sound awards could be going its way.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Akash wrote:Gosh how did The Sixth Sense lose Editing and Sound?? Oh right, Keanu Reeves bending backwards slowly...er, on screen I mean. Blech.

The Sixth Sense wasn't even nominated for best sound - a pretty dire oversight, if you ask me, for a film with such a beautifully sustained aural atmosphere.

Ratatouille could well win one or both of the sound categories - I can't see Transformers as a multiple winner, and Ratatouille seems the next most obvious choice to pull off a win there (the Academy have shown no interest in the Bourne movies up to now, so don't see why they should start now).

Edited By rudeboy on 1202898972
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

anonymous wrote:1999 was the other time when 3 of the Best Picture nominees failed to win anything. The Green Mile, The Insider and The Sixth Sense all went empty-handed.

Gosh how did The Sixth Sense lose Editing and Sound?? Oh right, Keanu Reeves bending backwards slowly...er, on screen I mean. Blech.

Edited By Akash on 1202883228
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I would love it if Ratatouille won Score and Screenplay. Lord knows it deserves something apart from the ghettoized Animated Film category -- something to distinguish it from Finding Nemo, The Incredibles (ugh) and yes, Shrek (double ugh).
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think Ratatouille might win Best Score. Atonement certainly seems like the kind of movie that comes up empty handed although right now I would predict it for Score and Costume Design.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think this is one of those years in which the awards will be spread around enough to give all the nominated films something, though Michael Clayton is the one most vulnerable.

I hadn't given Tilda Swinton much chance of winning until the Baftas, but now I'm thinking she might just do it.

I see Atonement winning best score, but that's about it. Juno will win best screenplay.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I will say this for you though anonymous -- Sweeney Todd should absolutely win Art Direction (followed by There Will Be Blood).
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

1999 was the other time when 3 of the Best Picture nominees failed to win anything. The Green Mile, The Insider and The Sixth Sense all went empty-handed.

This year, I think Michael Clayton is the most likely candidate to not win anything (although I have a feeling Tilda Swinton might pull off a win). Atonement is next but it has a good shot in Best Score, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Which Best Picture nominee(s) do people think will fail to win an Oscar.

No Country for Old Men & There Will Be Blood are both assured of winning something.

This leaves Atonement, Juno & Michael Clayton.

I think Michael Clayton will go home empty handed. Juno is more likely to win Best Screenplay over Michael Clayton and Atonement might win Best Music.

It's also possible that these three may fail to win anything, particularly if Ratatouille snags screenplay.

1987 was one of the rare times when three Best Picture nominees failed to win an Oscar (Fatal Attraction, Hope & Glory, Broadcast News). It's probably happened a few other times since the number of picture nominee's dropped to 5 in 1944.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1202801540
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The 8th Decade”