Categories One-By-One: Animated Feature

1998 through 2007
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm fine with the inevitable win for Ratatouille, it's a great film, but I am disappointed The Simpsons Movie lost the nom to Surf's Up.

On the ATHF note:

I thought Aqua Teen Hunger Force was hilarious; I doubt many members on this board would care for that kind of humor and I love it, but it barely passes for a theatrical movie at all.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Eric wrote:A pretty radical slate could've been made up with that, Persepolis and maybe Paprika.
The totally gonzo Paprika also would have been worthy, though I think it was eligible for this category last year (and, naturally, wasn't nominated).
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I haven't seen Aquateen, but without The Simpsons Movie, this category is useless.

Persepolis by default.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Aqua Teen is the transposed-from-TV cartoon that should've been included here. A pretty radical slate could've been made up with that, Persepolis and maybe Paprika.

Edited By Eric on 1202498249
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Here's the question I have: how long can "aw...penguins are cute! Aren't penguins cute! They're so adorable! I love penguins! Look how cute they are when they surf/dance/mate!" sentiment propel films toward Oscar? I know some people on this board think this category will always be worthless, and that's fine, but for those of us who think this category COULD come up with a reasonable slate of nominees each year, Surf's Up represents yet another bummer nominee in this category's short history. It's narratively uninspired, full of puerile humor, and visually derivative, there's really no excuse for selecting this over the other available candidates. The Simpsons Movie was clever and witty, and Beowulf was a visual kick -- neither are tremendous, but both deserved accolades ahead of this.

I actually like both Ratatouille and Persepolis about equally -- they're visually dazzling, humorous, and poignant. If I had a ballot, I'd probably vote for Persepolis, to encourage more politically-minded, adult-skewing animation (and to give the film a higher profile), but I'm fine with Ratatouille's inevitable win. I think they're both lovely films.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Nominees:
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up

Damien and Steph2's favorite category.

Well, the shocker here is the well-reviewed big-screen adaptation of the long-running TV series The Simpsons failed to make it as a nominee and instead, the so-so (both box-office and critics-wise) penguin animated flick Surf's Up got in instead. But no matter, it has no chance of winning this year.

Ratatouille pretty much has this award in the bag. There is a small chance that the well-received French animated film Persepolis (which boasts the first woman ever to be nominated in the Best Animated Feature category) can upset but I don't see it happening. I'd be happy if either one wins. Both are artistic triumphs, as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “The 8th Decade”