Categories One-By-One: Animated Feature

1998 through 2007
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:I recently revisited Ratatouille on DVD. I don't understand Steph2's violent hatred for it. It's one of the sweetest, most moving films, live action or animated.
I wish I was on your meds. :p
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I recently revisited Ratatouille on DVD. I don't understand Steph2's violent hatred for it. It's one of the sweetest, most moving films, live action or animated.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Am I the only one who thinks that Ratatouille is one of Pixar's weaker films?

Technically brilliant, but only a few funny scenes, lame story...

Edited By Heksagon on 1202849366
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You've just come up with a brilliant concept for getting an Oscar, Jack -- Penguins escaping the Nazi

I am so down for this movie, you have no idea. 'The Penguinist'.
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

LMAO!!
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

The Original BJ wrote:
jack wrote:
Damien wrote:
You've just come up with a brilliant concept for getting an Oscar, Jack -- Penguins escaping the Nazis.

I think Spielberg has it in production...

And Roberto Benigni is set to star.

He was just raplaced by Tom Cruies. He's playing SS Penguin. He's just the right height.

Edited By jack on 1202525084
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

jack wrote:
Damien wrote:
jack wrote:Does Surf's Up nomination mean that penguin movies are going to replace WW2 or the Holocaust as subjects that will gauarantee a nomination. Think about it - March of the Penguins then Happy Feet, now this piece of shit.

You've just come up with a brilliant concept for getting an Oscar, Jack -- Penguins escaping the Nazis.

And Roberto Benigni is set to star.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Damien wrote:
jack wrote:Does Surf's Up nomination mean that penguin movies are going to replace WW2 or the Holocaust as subjects that will gauarantee a nomination. Think about it - March of the Penguins then Happy Feet, now this piece of shit.

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Edited By Damien on 1202511635
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Are we actually debating whether Ratatouille may or may not win?? Please. This will be the easiest slam dunk call of the night. They might as well send Brad Bird his Oscar now. It's a done deal, folks.

As for the merits of the film, Ratatouille is one of the best films of the year (no matter what Damien or Steph say), the best thing Pixar has ever done, and easily too good for the category it's in.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

OscarGuy wrote:If it were just animators voting, I could see that happening, Jack, but it's the entire Academy that votes the award. Surf's Up isn't going to win. Ratatouille has a much broader audience just because it's been seen by more people. Persepolis would only win if enough voters believe it was robbed of a Foreign Film nomination.
I suppose so, but I have a feeling that Persepolis will win this. It's the same hunch that thinks Julian Schnabel is going to win Best Director. This is going to be an Oscars full of surprises. I hope at least.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If it were just animators voting, I could see that happening, Jack, but it's the entire Academy that votes the award. Surf's Up isn't going to win. Ratatouille has a much broader audience just because it's been seen by more people. Persepolis would only win if enough voters believe it was robbed of a Foreign Film nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Does Surf's Up nomination mean that penguin movies are going to replace WW2 or the Holocaust as subjects that will gauarantee a nomination. Think about it - March of the Penguins then Happy Feet, now this piece of shit.

I'm still in shock that The Simpsons Movie wasn't nominated. The fact that it's based on a TV show shouldn't make a difference. Wasn't Jimmy Neutron based on a Nickelodeon cartoon? I think it was.

I can see Persepolis winning this catagory for the simple ft that Brad Bird already won an Animated Feature Oscar. There's very little logic for that reason, but hey......
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Have yet to see 'Persepolis' but the graphic novel is magical. Even without having seen the movie, I'd be pleased to see 'Persepolis' win. By the same token, loved 'Ratatouille' and see no problem with its inevitable win.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not my favorite category, but I did like the rat movie when I saw it. Having spent the holdiays dealing with a rat problem of my own, I am not so happily disposed to it now, but I thought it was well done. Persepolis looks to be fairly engrossing.

My predicitoin is for the rar movies, but I wouldn't have a problem with either winning. Surf's Up, which I haven't seen either, looks like more of the same.

Having never watched the TV series, I probably don't have the same perspective on The Simpsons Movie most of you do, but while I think it had some cleaver ideas in it I found it a rather ugly looking movie. Still, since I prefer clever ideas to more of the same I would have given it a nomination over Surf's Up, but not the award over Persepolis or the rat movie.

I'm not familiar with any of the other cartoon movies mentioned.

Return to “The 8th Decade”