Online Film & Television Association Awards

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Considering who he was up against, do you really blame voters for choosing Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire?

He got several votes, but those two amassed significantly more votes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

John Wayne has been at the top of my ballot, I am pretty sure, every year since I began voting. It is a shame he hasn't been inducted yet.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I understand, Wes. I just find it very hard to believe that John Wayne hasn't amassed enough votes to make it in. What do you mean we're done? We get to ask you the same questions again next year.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

POPULAR VOTE! How many times can I tell you people this? It's not like these people are selected by a specific group (something that may actually happen in the future), they are chosen by a body as a whole.

And it generally takes more than HALF of a voting membership to rank John Wayne lower than others not to let him get in. And I don't care if he's god's greatest gift to acting. I don't like him and I'm not voting for him. We're done.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'd also like to know how a guy who does titles like Saul Bass gets in on the technician side, but not someone like, say, Ray Harryhausen, who's done way more for the advancement of film than Saul Bass.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's called popularity vote, MovieWes.

For one thing, I don't like John Wayne. I can't stand the man and no matter how much impact he has on film history, I know that personally, I would not rank him highly. Others would.

He's John Wayne! Who is keeping John Wayne out of the pantheon? How is John Wayne not in the Top Ten people inducted in? He's John Wayne! I don't care what kind of experience you had with him growing up and how he kept calling you "Pilgrim" while raping your puppy in front of you, he's John Fucking Wayne and he belongs in. Seriously, who isn't voting for John Wayne? This is a very valid question.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is why we discussed changes to the selection system.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Liv Ullmann would have nothing to do with John Wayne making it in. Actors and Actresses do not compete with each other for inclusion.

No, but Ullmann ahead of Greer Garson, Irene Dunne, Claudette Colbert, Dorothy McGuire, Jean Simmons and so many other actresses whose careers were longer and more varied is a shame. And so is Hopkins ahead of Wayne, Hoffman, Fredirc March, Gary Cooper and so many others.

And why don't we have a category for character actors? Thlma Ritter should not be there by her lonesome. She sholud be surrounded by the likes of Ethel Barrymore, Gladys Cooper, Edith Evans, Agnes Moorehead, Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Mary Astor, Billie Burke, Edna May Oliver, Hattie McDaniel, Frank Morgan, Walter Huston, Adolphe Menjou, Donald Crisp, Walter Brennan, Claude Rains, Basil Rathbone, Thomas Mitchell, Clifton Webb and Roland Young.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1202746152
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Steph2 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:When it comes to younger, still active stars, where is Dustin Hoffman? His contemporaries, Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino have all been inducted, so why not Hoffman?

Beeecause he sucks?
Oh, you think everyone and everything sucks :p
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I know it's called popularity. I'm just wondering why OFTA voters are so shortsighted as to not vote for him (no offense to you, OscarGuy). The man's a legend. It's dumb to see Anthony Hopkins included and not John Wayne.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's called popularity vote, MovieWes.

For one thing, I don't like John Wayne. I can't stand the man and no matter how much impact he has on film history, I know that personally, I would not rank him highly. Others would.

It's all a matter of competition. And Liv Ullmann would have nothing to do with John Wayne making it in. Actors and Actresses do not compete with each other for inclusion.
Wesley Lovell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

How come John Wayne hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet? Why Liv Ullman? Why Anthony Hopkins? Why Maggie Smith? John Wayne's much bigger than all of them. That's kind of stupid.

Edited By MovieWes on 1202681433
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Big Magilla wrote:When it comes to younger, still active stars, where is Dustin Hoffman? His contemporaries, Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino have all been inducted, so why not Hoffman?
Beeecause he sucks?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, I said in the other thread that the awards are mostly "great". No real surprises, though, as most of the awards wnet to honorees that have already won elsewhere.

It's not a matter of "my" favorites not being inducted into the Hall of Fame that bothers me, but the exclusion of all-time greats over currently fashionable figures in general. And how many times do Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock have to be inducted?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The OFTA (only one A) is composed of film lovers from across the globe. There are a number of members in the OFTA who also post here. The membership roster remains closed because some members wish to remain anonymous and do not wish their personal information revealed to others. There is no prohibition for members to identify themselves, but most prefer to remain private.

I'm not going to debate the merits or flaws of our inductees because they are popularly selected, though I am disappointed that Sergei Eisenstein, father of film editing techniques, has not yet been inducted. But he's not the only one I feel should be in there.

But, Magilla, you also know that your personal favorite How Green Was My Valley did not make it in until last year. So, there will probably always be someone or something you champion that doesn't make it. However, I am in agreement that our finalist selection process is prone to popular issues, but my initial proposals to Magilla have dealt with such issues.

Now, the Hall of Fame is not the only aspect of our organization and I guess I'm saddened that this happens to be the present discussion point, instead of the actual film awards which were, in some cases, surprising even to me.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”