Online Film & Television Association Awards

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

nope. burn it. ride off into the sunset.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Here, here
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This thread, like so many lately, got off on the wrong foot and has pretty much stayed there, for which I am in part to blame.

Wesley puts a lot of work into compiling the OFTAs and those of us who participate in them put a lot of thought into them as well. To call them irrevelevant because of a differnce of opinion as to whteher Gregory Peck or John Wayne is more deserving of being included in the Hall of Fame seems to me to be as unfair as it unkind.

John Wayne was a finalist this year. He'll get in sooner or later.

Instead of deriding the exclusions, we should be celebrating the inlcusions and patting ourselves on the back for making some excellent choices this year.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Damien wrote:That John Wayne -- one of the true, great American film icons (certainly more so than Gregory Peck and even Fred Astaire) -- is not in the Hall of Fame makes the OFTA seem pretty silly and irrelevant.
Or it makes it seem ... international. I am saying that because since as i understand there are a lot of non-americans who vote, John Wayne may not seem as important or iconic to them, as he obviously is to americans. Just a thought...
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'll strike the match. Seriously, Anthony Hopkins?

Add me to the John Wayne love train.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

i'm with Damien. let's burn this motherfucker down.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla wrote:Proposed changes would have a select committe make recommendations to the entire membership.
This would be a helpful change, especially for young members with insufficient knowledge to make these kind of calls.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Zahveed wrote:How are other Hall of Fame inductees selected in other groups? OFTAA could adopt that process with a few minor adjustments here and there to make it somewhat unique.
At present selections are made by the entire membership without benefit of recommendation so whoever happens to pop into the most heads at nomiantiions time gets the benefit of a nomination.

Proposed changes would have a select committe make recommendations to the entire membership.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That John Wayne -- one of the true, great American film icons (certainly more so than Gregory Peck and even Fred Astaire) -- is not in the Hall of Fame makes the OFTA seem pretty silly and irrelevant.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

How are other Hall of Fame inductees selected in other groups? OFTAA could adopt that process with a few minor adjustments here and there to make it somewhat unique.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Let's not blow this out of proportion. The problem has to do with the way Hall of Fame inductees are selected and that is being addressed.

Let's keep in mind that OFTAA was the first organization to recognize performers in this manner. All these years later Gold Derby is copying us. Its potential inductees include people we've already recognized.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I suppose, Zahveed. I'm by no means a John Wayne fiend but it's just odd. I guess the Hopkins thing is a fluke.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Anthony Hopkins was admitted in 1997. That's 10 years ago. AND it was only one individual out of 24 that you're objecting to.

And there's another little point. In the first few years of the Hall of Fame, rules were quite a bit different, but regardless, Hopkins still was admitted to the Hall of Fame. John Wayne probably wasn't even a finalist then. He's only really emerged as contender in recent years.

And, Zahveed's right, with only a handful complaining (only one of which is an actual voting member), it may be a case of similar thought that he's just not more important than Gregory Peck or Fred Astaire.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sabin wrote:Yes! He's John Wayne! Diablo Cody before Charlie Kaufman? Tony Scott before Andrei Tarkovsky? ABBA before Dylan? He's John Fucking Wayne! I love Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire but Anthony Hopkins is in there for Christ's sake!
Hopkins was inducted in a previous yea, so arguing that now is a little pointless. This year it was Peck and Astaire over Wayne. Just because he didn't get in doesn't mean he wasn't voted on, he was just given less votes by the members as a whole. There's only a people on this board making the Wayne argument and it probably equates to the few people in OFTA giving all their points to him.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yes! He's John Wayne! Diablo Cody before Charlie Kaufman? Tony Scott before Andrei Tarkovsky? ABBA before Dylan? He's John Fucking Wayne! I love Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire but Anthony Hopkins is in there for Christ's sake!
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The 8th Decade”