Online Film & Television Association Awards

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Who are the members of the OFTAA?
Fair question, Damien. I've been President of the Film side or Vice President of OFTAA overall for years and even I am unaware of the full membership. However, I do know that many of the members also post here.

Wesley has plans to revise the Hall of fame that includes a select committee making recommendations for Hall of Fame induction, something that proved necessary after this year's embarassing list of nominees in the various categories. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will participate in the committee.

I'm not saying that any of the candidates were unworthy, jsut that there are other, worthier choices that get overlooked time and again. The reason being that many of the members do not have a broad appreciation of film history.

For example, I nominate George Cukor and Vincente Minnelli for membership in the Directors' branch year after year and year after year they are ignored. I have been mominating Cole Porter and George Gershwin for the music branch ever sicne Irving Berlin was inducted. This year Gershwin finally made it, but Porter is still missing.

Of the actress nominees, only Anne Bancroft, who made it, and Greer Garson, who didn't, deserved to be inducted ahead of Liv Ullmann, Sophia Loren and Marilyn Monroe in my estimation. On the actor side, John Wayne continues to be passed over, though it is no dishonor for him to be by-passed by either Fred Astaire or Gregory Peck.

When it comes to younger, still active stars, where is Dustin Hoffman? His contemporaries, Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino have all been inducted, so why not Hoffman?

I'm not sure we should be including film critics, but since we opened the door with Harkness, why not include Ferguson, James Agee, Sarris and his arch enemy, Kael? I personally can't stand the woman or most of her writing, but I will concede that she should be inducted before any of her legion of Paulettes, and that includes Roger Ebert.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:If you hadn't read, Eric, he was inducted because he was a member of the organization and that's why he's in. And the rules for HoF induction will be changing. I put him down as a "critic" because I didn't have anywhere else to put him until I redesign that section of the site.

So, he was inducted as a member, not technically as a critic.
Oh, are Sergio Leone and Charlie Chaplin also members of the OFTA?

Yeah, I understand this is more of a tribute award and all, but maybe it could've been a special award and not a Hall of Fame induction, et al.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Who are the members of the OFTAA?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Okri wrote:I haven't heard of Ferguson.
Otis Ferguson was arguably the first great film critic, one who appreciated all genres of movies no matter what their budgets or prestige quota was. He also wrote wonderfully about jazz.
He dies at 36 in World War 2.

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/04/30/otis_ferguson.html

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1006258
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If you hadn't read, Eric, he was inducted because he was a member of the organization and that's why he's in. And the rules for HoF induction will be changing. I put him down as a "critic" because I didn't have anywhere else to put him until I redesign that section of the site.

So, he was inducted as a member, not technically as a critic.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I haven't heard of Ferguson.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The first film critic inducted into the hall of fame is John Harkness?

Not taking away from his stature or anything, but ... have you guys heard of Andrew Sarris? Manny Farber? Otis Ferguson? Pauline Kael?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The winners have been announced for the 12th Annual Awards.

Find the full list of winners below:

Winners

Hall of Fame Inductees
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”