BAFTA nominations

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry, Tabu would qualify as a Supporting Actress, though a good one.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Well, let's see. We could go with:
Kate Dickie - Red Road
Carice van Houten - Black Book
Keri Russell - Waitress
Tabu - The Namesake
Sigourney Weaver - Snow Cake

Nice work by all, but I'll take predictible
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Steph2 wrote:Sounds boring and predictable.
so, what do you suggest?
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Sounds boring and predictable.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Christie, Cotillard, Linney, Page and Knightley, in that order. How does that sound?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

mashari wrote:I also agree that Jolie's 4th. Knightley has a strong chance to best Blanchett for 5th.
The hope and glory will be Knightley in the 4th place, and Linney in the 5th.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I guess they really hated Sweeney Todd. It didn't even get a nomination for Production Design.

Edit: Oops, I see that you already mentioned that, OG
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I also agree that Jolie's 4th. Knightley has a strong chance to best Blanchett for 5th.

It looks like Gangster may take that blockbuster slot for BP after all, though, but Denzel & Ridley Scott have both gone down in flames.

Edited By mashari on 1200507611
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

rudeboy wrote:Sound
Atonement - Danny Hambrook/Paul Hamblin/Catherine Hodgson
The Bourne Ultimatum - Kirk Francis/Scott Millan/Dave Parker/Karen Baker Landers/Per Hallberg
No Country For Old Men - Peter Kurland/Skip Lievsay/Craig Berkey/Greg Orloff
There Will Be Blood - Christopher Scarabosio/Matthew Wood/John Pritchett/Michael Semanick/Tom Johnson
La Vie En Rose - Laurent Zeilig/Pascal Villard/Jean-Paul Hurier/Marc Doisne
Memo to the Academy: this is what I call a Sound category. Three prestige pics with subtle but highly effective sound design, a foreign musical with an innovative, memorable soundtrack, and the hippest, most exciting blockbuster of the year.

Proof that there is no need to nominate the five highest-grossing movies of the year just because they were loud and made a hunk of money when folks across the pond can find aesthetically worthy candidates.

Also, any supporting actor list that includes BOTH Tommy Lee Jones and Paul Dano is cool with me.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:Why is Sienna Miller considered a rising star? I thought she had already risen.
I think she needs some award and of course, a blockbuster.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Why is Sienna Miller considered a rising star? I thought she had already risen.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

paperboy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Gangster only received 5 nominations and aside form its Best Picture inclusion, they were all tech noms.

Original Screenplay is a tech award?
I sorted through these so fast, I didn't pay attention to where Gangster placed except that it was shut out of the top 6 categories except Best Picture.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

OscarGuy wrote:Gangster only received 5 nominations and aside form its Best Picture inclusion, they were all tech noms.
Original Screenplay is a tech award?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, the BAFTA have certain times when they're heavily predictive and then times when they are horribly off. For Best Picture alone:

2006 - 4 for 5
2005 - 4 for 5
2004 - 2 for 5
2003 - 3 for 5
2002 - 5 for 5
2001 - 3 for 5
2000 - 3 for 5
1999 - 2 for 5

1998 was the last year they only nominated 4 films for Best Picture.

Anyway, Atonement WAS going to do well with these guys. Notice its inclusion in the Best British Film category. American Gangster was not their kind of movie, except that it was a period drama, which shows why Cold Mountain was nominated for BAFTA.

Gangster only received 5 nominations and aside form its Best Picture inclusion, they were all tech noms.

Here are some important things to note:

British actors tend to do really well with BAFTA, but note how Helena Bonham Carter who was even nominated by the BAFTA for Howards End, is completely ignored here. Also, note the Sweeney snub in Production Design. The film only got nommed in Costume Design and Makeup.

300 was also shut out even in categories we think it's going to do well in Visual Effects (where BAFTA rightfully nominates 5 productions) and Makeup.

La Vie en Rose did surprisingly well, including several tech nods. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, on the other hand, got only one nod for Foreign Film.

You can toss out The Lives of Others nods for Academy Award consideration since the film is ineligible this year.

Paul Dano got in for There Will Be Blood. That means the film, which earned nine nominations. It did NOT get an Editing nod.

Michael Clayton got an editing nod but only featured in three acting categories plus Original Screenplay.

There Will Be Blood also hasn't received more than a qualifying run in the UK, but makes it in heavily while Into the Wild, which opened there in November, was completely shut out.

Juno only picked up two nominations, for Actress and Original Screenplay.

No Country for Old Men also got nine nominations and was included in Editing. Kelly MacDonald picked up her first major precursor mention, which could bode well for her if the Academy similarly runs towards No Country.

Sadly missing from their Music category is Alexandre Desplat's beautiful score for Lust, Caution.

Atonement received 14 nominations including one for Best British Film. Saoirse Ronan is the Briony that makes it into this field. If Brit Redgrave can't make it into the nominations, then she looks like she may be officially out of the Oscar derby.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1200488064
Wesley Lovell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

We can but hope, on both counts!

Return to “The 8th Decade”