Directors Guild Winner

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth
Less often than some Oscar prognosticators I know.

OscarGuy
Don't be a fuckhead.

Sorry, I'm too busy being right.

Edited By Sabin on 1201429514
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Alan Taylor won the TV Drama award for Mad Men! Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Oscar Guy, thank you for your information-at-the-ready, but how many precursors have historically been 100% accurate in forecasting the Oscars? Of course the answer is zero.

It really, REALLY goes without saying that not every precursor is a perfect match. This is something we know already, and have known for years. And in some cases, decades. You underestimate the intelligence of your board members.

I don't recall you dismissing the value of all the precursors when it was Scorese's or Peter Jackson's year. This year, it's like a reflex action.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sonic Youth wrote:Less often than some Oscar prognosticators I know.
Don't be a fuckhead.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Less often than some Oscar prognosticators I know.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Yessss!!! :cool:
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Even the DGA can make mistakes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Per Gold Derby, the Coens won.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Coens win.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They're "presenting" the plaque to Sean Penn now. That still leaves two more presentations...god this is taking forever.

I think Getty's just running behind. Tony Gilroy just popped up with a plaque...that should only leave Julian Schnabel before we get to find out the winner

Edited By OscarGuy on 1201415441
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I went searching through the Getty image archives and found two photos. One with a silver plaque given to Scorsese and then one with a gold.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:All right. I checked some of the other images from the night and I saw Vanessa Williams posing with one (thank goodness she didn't actually win one), but the one she's holding looks more golden in color and has no engraved plaque on the left side, so...one down, three more eliminations to go.

They all get the silver nomination plaque (and there are usually pictures of them all with it) before the much larger gold winners plaque is given out.

I know this for a fact because there was considerable discussion about that a few years ago at Goldderby on DGA night.
That's good to hear. I was feeling bad for PTA.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Does anyone know if they hand out silvers to all nominees, including the winner, then a gold one to the winner? or do they present the four losers first and then the winner?
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:All right. I checked some of the other images from the night and I saw Vanessa Williams posing with one (thank goodness she didn't actually win one), but the one she's holding looks more golden in color and has no engraved plaque on the left side, so...one down, three more eliminations to go.
They all get the silver nomination plaque (and there are usually pictures of them all with it) before the much larger gold winners plaque is given out.

I know this for a fact because there was considerable discussion about that a few years ago at Goldderby on DGA night.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

All right. I checked some of the other images from the night and I saw Vanessa Williams posing with one (thank goodness she didn't actually win one), but the one she's holding looks more golden in color and has no engraved plaque on the left side, so...one down, three more eliminations to go.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”