80th Academy Awards Nominations

1998 through 2007
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:
Penelope wrote:Apparently, not enough gay men in the Academy...we should've learned this from the Crash debacle.

Um but there are enough WOMEN in the Academy. Almost half. Geez, you guys are so gay over here in your Gay Board World, you've forgotten that women like straight men too? :p
I don't think there are enough women in the Academy, either.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Penelope wrote:Apparently, not enough gay men in the Academy...we should've learned this from the Crash debacle.
Um but there are enough WOMEN in the Academy. Almost half. Geez, you guys are so gay over here in your Gay Board World, you've forgotten that women like straight men too? :p
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Not a single nomination for Hairspray. Nada. Not one. Not even Costume Design or Sound Mixing. Or Song.

And odd that the otger musical isn't up for Sound either.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm guessing There Will Be Blood will win. I still don't see No Country for Old Men as the kind of film that the Academy will love to award.

Btw, is there any chance that Andrzej Wajda will join the list of Honorary Oscar winners to win a competetive award later on by winning the best foreign language film for Katyn?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:So, the message this year is keep your hotties out of our Best Actor category. McAvoy, Gosling and Hirsch all given the boot in favor of Jones.
Apparently, not enough gay men in the Academy...we should've learned this from the Crash debacle.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I can't speak for Eric but I've never understood the sex appeal of Johnny Depp. He's a wonderful actor (or he was) but he always seems dopey and dirty to me. And have you ever seen him in interviews? Boring and uncharismatic. And not particularly intelligent either.

No, the "older" hottie on that list is clearly George Clooney.

Edited By Akash on 1201012929
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I would love to see There Will Be Blood dominate. It is the most deserving IMO.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Random thought: the trailer for The Lovely Bones will now be able to promote two Oscar winners (Rachel Weisz & Susan Sarandon) and two Oscar nominees (Mark Wahlberg & Saoirse Ronan) in its cast.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201012809
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:So, the message this year is keep your hotties out of our Best Actor category. McAvoy, Gosling and Hirsch all given the boot in favor of Jones.

well, he may not be young, but mr. depp is still a hottie (see the current cover of rolling stone for proof). mcavory, hirsch, and gosling all deserved nominations over depp. i guess the message is do not be a young actor, unless you are female.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1201012627
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Big Magilla wrote:

Oh, and I'm pleased Keener was snubbed for another autopilot performance.

Typical Oscar voting practices. While a Gosling, Ledger or Norton may occasionally get nomianted, this category is traditionally the pervue of middle aged men. The "hotties" have better luck in the supporting category which is why Affleck was wise to go for that. Surprisingly, though, the best actress category which is usually heavy on "babes" opted for Blanchett and Linney over Knightley and Jolie.
I prefer Laura Linney and Cate Blanchett to the youthful emptiness of Jolie and Knightley.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Typical Oscar voting practices. While a Gosling, Ledger or Norton may occasionally get nomianted, this category is traditionally the pervue of middle aged men. The "hotties" have better luck in the supporting category which is why Affleck was wise to go for that. Surprisingly, though, the best actress category which is usually heavy on "babes" opted for Blanchett and Linney over Knightley and Jolie.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:So, the message this year is keep your hotties out of our Best Actor category.
Exactly. I knew the list we were all playing around with seemed too pretty for the Academy. Hirsch or Gosling? Hey, how about neither.

But I thought they'd go with Hoffman, not Jones.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

So, the message this year is keep your hotties out of our Best Actor category. McAvoy, Gosling and Hirsch all given the boot in favor of Jones.

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm disappointed too that Into the Wild didn't do better. Even without Picture and Director (Penn wasn't exactly the most deserving I'll admit), it still deserved nominations for Keener (she can get in for Capote but not this??), Hirsch (Hirsch or Gosling? many of us wondered. The Oscars answered: NEITHER!), cinematography and screenplay.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:First thing's first: I will not sit through Norbit. I just...no...GODDAMN THESE PEOPLE!
It sounds like you should start an organization called Oscar Completaholics Anonymous. :;):

Return to “The 8th Decade”