Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

BC-Oscar Nominations-List,0799
The complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations is announced
With BC-Oscar Nominations
By The Associated Press
Complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday:
1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."
2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."
3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."
4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."
5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."
6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."
7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.
8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."
9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."
10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."
11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."
12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."
13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."
14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."
15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.
16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.
17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."
18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."
19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."
20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."
21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."
22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."
23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."
24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."
--------
Academy Award winners previously announced this year:
HONORARY AWARD (Oscar statuette): Robert Boyle
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
APTV 01-22-08 0757CST
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

They're on oscar.com...the front page.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy's slow in reporting the nods and I can't seem to find them anywhere...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Yeah I really can't be mad about any of these since even the bad ones are offset by good signs.

Atonement is in but didn't get the most nominations, no lead acting nominations, and with no Director nomination, it's already out of the running for Picture.

Johnny Depp's wasted nomination is offset by no other major nomination for Sweeney Todd.

Cate Blanchett is in but Angelina Jolie is out and yes I am KICKING myself for pulling Linney from my predictions in favor of Adams.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Johnny Depp's nomination made my day. :D
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

My count is No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood with 8 a piece, Atonement and Michael Clayton with 7 each and Juno with 4.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

So clearly Johnny Depp would be in for reading the phone book as Jones comes up and usurps McAvoy and Hirsch rather than him, apparently it's only a matter of time until he gets a statue, let it just please not be a shocker for this trash......
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Pleasant surprises:

Atonement and Saoirse Ronan making the cut (The supporting actress category this year is stacked with unsympathetic quasi-villains, huh?).

Ruby Dee!

Tommy Lee Jones recognized for The Valley of Elah

Laura Linney surviving the precursor shut-out to land a deserved nod for her fantastic work in The Savages.

Sarah Polley.

Disappointments:

Johnny Depp's nomination.

Jason Reitman for Best Director

Ambivalent:

Cate Blanchett's nod for Elizabeth: The Golden Age. The movie is not much to write home about but her performance is quite powerful. I'm really not screaming about this one.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201011001
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Did There Will Be Blood get the most nominations? I counted nine.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rudeboy wrote:
Penelope wrote:Do we know the Film Editing nominees yet?

Yes, all categories are up on oscar.com. Film editing has Bourne, Diving Bell, Into the Wild, No Country and There Will be Blood.
Ah, so this just confirms that the race is between No Country and There Will Be Blood.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Into the Wild didn't even get in for Song. They just handed most of the category over to Enchanted, just like they used to in the Disney-animation heyday.

In the makeup category, we ahve Oscar-nominee Norbit.

Edited By dws1982 on 1201010168
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Laura Linney! Yay!!!

THREE songs from 'Enchanted'? WTF?

Edited By paperboy on 1201010405
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Penelope wrote:Do we know the Film Editing nominees yet?
Yes, all categories are up on oscar.com. Film editing has Bourne, Diving Bell, Into the Wild, No Country and There Will be Blood.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I m very happy Tommy Lee Jones made it as a leading actor in In the Valley of Elah!
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Yes, Persepolis got in!! Boo that Simpsons didn't get in!

And why do the nominations for Cate Blanchett for Best Actress and Johnny Depp feel like lazy voting? Surely, there were other, far more deserving performances to honor.

Return to “The 8th Decade”