14th SAG Predictions

1998 through 2007
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I was too young to really understand/appreciate the Oscar race at the time, all I knew was that my older female cousins (and my one gay cousin) were in love with Leo. Years later, having seen both films, I can honestly say I'd take the earnestness and silliness of Titanic any day over the overrated L.A. Confidential. Please take back Kim Bassinger's Oscar and give it to...oh right, all the nominees sucked that year.

And the soundtrack is the best thing about Good Will Hunting. Does anyone out there still really believe Damon and Affleck penned that screenplay? I bet anything it was mostly Van Sant. And I can understand why he wouldn't want credit for it.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I loved 'L.A. Confidential'. In the previous two years when 'Braveheart' and 'The English Patient' won, I felt as though my favorite films were justly reward (to be young again!). Then when 'Titanic' just kept winning and winning on March of '98, I really kind of grew disillusioned, especially considering that nobody I knew had seen the damn thing! What else can you want in a movie? That 'L.A. Confidential' lost the award for Film Editing and Dramatic Score really sealed it for me.

That being said, if anything was going to beat 'Titanic' it would've been 'Good Will Hunting' which was on television just recently and I was amazed at the cinematography. Just beautiful! Jean-Yves Escoffier's naturalistic interior lighting is gorgeous. Everything else is slightly better than average crowd pleaser claptrap with a lovely score, soundtrack, and leading performance.
"How's the despair?"
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

First Alvin, now The Full Monty Damien? I think you and I have finally found the river that divides us. Just as long as you don't say anything bad about Gael Garcia Bernal. (and I'll try not to say anything bad about Ethan Hawke) :)

But yeah, regardless of the merits of the win, the fact is The Full Monty had no shot against Titanic so the idea that SAG voters are trying to affect the Oscar outcome isn't that obvious. (one could argue Gosford Park couldn't possibly win Best Picture also, but I think it's more obvious with The Full Monty) It would have made more sense if they picked L.A. Confidential, which was probably the only film that could have benefited from a huge Titanic backlash at the Oscars.

I think actors are so full of themselves, that they might actually just be choosing whatever/whomever they like, Oscars and good taste be damned. They might be the least insecure of the Guild Awards, if only because of their arrogance.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:(The SAGs are no different from any other award body. They like to appear relevent and influence the Oscar outcome like all the others. NCFOM is their only shot at that.)

Yeah I'm sure they really thought "The Full Monty" could take down "Titanic."

If I were an Academy member I would have voted for The Full Monty that year. :cool:

Edited By Damien on 1201495446
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Sonic Youth wrote:(The SAGs are no different from any other award body. They like to appear relevent and influence the Oscar outcome like all the others. NCFOM is their only shot at that.)
Yeah I'm sure they really thought "The Full Monty" could take down "Titanic."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Daniel Day-Lewis

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Julie

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Javier Bardem

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Tilda Swinton

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
No Country For Old Men
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis

(The rest can stay home.)

Best Actress
Ellen Page

(Tough race, this.)

Best Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett

(You read it right. I'm having my doubts about Amy Ryan. Both are in films that were not widely seen; both rep the sole nominees for each film. But at this moment in time, Cate is as close to Hollywood royalty as one can get, and her performance can be easily isolated from the rest of the film with no danger of disruption. Oh, and one more reason. SAG awards rarely match up with the Oscars 4 for 4. :p )

Best Ensemble
No Country for Old Men

(The SAGs are no different from any other award body. They like to appear relevent and influence the Oscar outcome like all the others. NCFOM is their only shot at that.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

SAG ceremony presentations:

I'M AN ACTOR STORIES
Sally Field
Doug Savant
Ellen Burstyn
Sandra Oh
Tracy Morgan
Rebecca Romijn
Jane Krakowski
Kyle MacLachlan

DRAMA SERIES ACTOR
Steve Carell & Tina Fey

ENSEMBLE CLIP FOR "HAIRSPRAY"
Nikki Blonsky & John Travolta

DRAMA SERIES ACTRESS
Zac Efron & Debra Messing

DRAMA SERIES ENSEMBLE
William Petersen & Vanessa Williams

ENSEMBLE CLIP FOR "INTO THE WILD"
Emile Hirsch & Hal Holbrook

FILM SUPPORTING ACTOR
Marion Cotillard

COMEDY SERIES ACTRESS
Eric Dane & Chandra Wilson

COMEDY SERIES ACTOR
Kate Beckinsale & James Marsden

ENSEMBLE CLIP FOR "AMERICAN GANGSTER"
Russell Crowe & Ruby Dee

COMEDY SERIES ENSEMBLE
Michael C. Hall & Jeanne Tripplehorn

SAG PRESIDENT
Alan Rosenberg

LIFE ACHIEVEMENT TO CHARLES DURNING
Denis Leary & Burt Reynolds

TV MOVIE ACTOR
Holly Hunter & James Spader

ENSEMBLE CLIP FOR "3:10 TO YUMA"
Russell Crowe

TV MOVIE ACTRESS
Mickey Rooney

IN MEMORIAM SEGMENT
Josh Brolin

FILM SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viggo Mortensen

ENSEMBLE CLIP FOR "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"
Tommy Lee Jones

FILM LEAD ACTOR
Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey

FILM LEAD ACTRESS
Forest Whitaker

FILM ENSEMBLE
Tom Cruise
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Actor: Daniel-Day Lewis no contest
Actress: Contrary to what Big Magilla is saying Christie's weak status in the race will be revealed tonight its gonna be close between Page and Cotillard but Cotillard has the actor's dream part i'm going for her.
Supp actor: Javier Bardem second biggest lock of the night.
Supporting actress: My sources tell me SAG hated I'm not there Amy Ryan is gonna take it this is an american award show they have to win something.
Ensemble: No country for old men.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis

Actress - Ellen Page (Away From Her never became any kind of a breakout hit, although Lions Gate did send out screeners to all of the voters; Cotillard has the pesky subtitles thing; Blanchett's nomination is an embarassment, and Jolie is just here for the nomination)

Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (Although I'll keep holding out hope for Holbrook until the Oscars)

Supporting Actress - Amy Ryan (Blanchett's film tanked; I'd be stunned to see Keener win; Swinton and Dee are possibilities)

Ensemble - No Country For Old Men (But Into the Wild feels like a possibility too.)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Yes, I agree. No contest for Day-Lewis, but so often we have called a winner because of earlier wins( see Thomas Haden Church et al). I would be very surprised though, if he didn't win.
Supporting: Hal Holbrook, and Amy Ryan. Actress: Julie Christie. Ensemble: Charlie Wilson"s War, or Atonement.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis, no contest

Best Actress - Julie Christie - no contest

Best Supporting Actor - a tough call - on the basis of performance, Bardem seems likely, but sentiment does play a part in SAG voting and here's where they have a chance to honor Into the Wild so Hal Holbrook

Best Supporting Actress - Ruby Dee might have a shot if her role were larger, but it isn't. On the basis of performance, I'd say Amy Ryan.

Best Ensemble - this award is not their equivalent of best picture, it is supposed to be given to the film that best uses its diverse cast so it could go to either No Country or Into the Wild - I'd say No Country but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Now if Hairspray wins, I'll be bald by morning from pulling all my hair out.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm gonna do some limb sitting on this one. I'm going for the ones that I feel the larger group of actors can get behind.

Cast: Into the Wild (with a tally-leading 4 bids and the likelihood of taking at least one other, I'm going with this)

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis got his first Oscar before the SAG had a chance to recognize him, so I see this as being another Jodie Foster-like win (even though he's quite deserving) and that he takes home the prize.

Actress: Julie Christie. I think actors may be all about career recognition this year. They went with Helen Mirren last year, but I think in a tight race, Christie ekes out a win. I think Cotillard has the biggest chance for an upset, but Ellen Page I don't think is in the running even though her film has been seen by more actors.

Supporting Actor: Hal Holbrook. Why wouldn't they? They love actors who've spent decades working. If he wins, he'll get the kind of boost Alan Arkin didn't get on his way to Oscar. Though, I could see them avoiding a third career recognition and giving it to someone else.

Supporting Actress: Ruby Dee. She's already gotten a lifetime achievement award, I don't see why they wouldn't give her an actual award, but I could see them going for Blanchett too.

Cast: Into the Wild (RU: No Country for Old Men)
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (RU: George Clooney)
Actress: Julie Christie (RU: Marion Cotillard)
Supporting Actor: Hal Holbrook (RU: Javier Bardem)
Supporting Actress: Ruby Dee (RU: Cate Blanchett)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

CAST: No Country for Old Men
ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis
ACTRESS: Julie Christie
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Ryan
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

*** = WINNER

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
American Gangster
Hairspray
Into the Wild
*** No Country for Old Men
3:10 to Yuma

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role